One-off noise when taps turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently moved house and, whenever I turn the taps off, there is a loud "clunk" which is audible throughout the house. This also happens when the washer is on. The water flow is inconsistent from the cold water tap in the kitchen ... it's not possible to have a trickle of water running as it used to be, I have to turn it almost fully on. A few months ago, I had the taps replaced in the kitchen, but this "trickling" problem's come back.

Could this mean air pockets in the system? How can I get rid of them? For info., we have a Concord WRS boiler, which I would think is fairly ancient (the house is 35 years old).

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Also get a 'clunk' from time to time - but only when the water pressure is high (early morning for example). I believe it is due to the sudden cut-off of water escape when the tap (or whatever) is turned off causing the supply pipe to 'whip'. Maybe wrong, but that's what I think. Hasn't caused any harm that I can see - not for the last 20 odd years.

Your 'trickle' problem - do you mean nothing comes out of the tap when slightly turned on, nothing when turned on further and then suddenly on at full force when opened a bit further? If so, sounds like the washer stuck (seems to happen more with modern rubber washers than it did with the old fibre ones) and suddenly being released. Could also be faulty tap even if relatively new.

If you meant you only get a meagre supply gradually until tap fully on then it appears you have a problem with the supply pipe (have you checked your supply cock is sufficiently on? - do that first). The supply cock could be faulty and in need of replacement (you can't do that yourself, would need to call in the supplier).

It won't be caused by air in the heating system - your cold supply in the kitchen comes direct from the main supply (for drinking). This would also typically feed your washing machine and dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much both for the replies. Sounds as if the tap "trickle" problem may be due to the washer, so will get boyfriend to take a look.

The "clunk" noise is very embarrassing when we have guests stay, as they tend to get rudely woken in the morning when the taps are turned on! If there's a chance we can reduce/stop the noise (especially if it may be damaging the system), I'll try and find a cheap local plumber.

Thanks again both.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back