one pipe centrel heating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am doing some work in an old property.The owners after having a extension put up and knocked down an wall now have an 2" pipe running across the opening.It is part of the central heating system an one pipe system.I would like to know if i can drop the pipe dia down to 22mm copper and put the pipe under the floor boads with out afecting the proformse of the boiler and the heat it gives out?

Sponsored Links
If you change the size of the pipe, particularly so drastically then its likely to affect the operation of the system.

If you wanted to reduce it ( by just a little bit ) then you need to calculate the effect!

Have you not been on a pipe sizing course?

Tony

2" pipe, would be either a very large house or an old gravity system.

Is there a pump on the heating now, and where is the pipe in question to the boiler and the rest of the system.

More information, especially about the layout.

Is the pipe steel or copper.

Hi all,
first of all the job is in a pub, a very old one .all the central heating system is run on the one pipe system blue band steel pipe.the rads are the old cast iron ones.The boiler is a new one and is in the celler.there is a 22mm pipe run from the boiler of no more then 1mt to the 2" blue band piping.The pipe run in on the ground floor about 4.5 mts from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Is there a pump.

Assuming there is, you could drop the pipe in the floor and rise the other side, you will need to keep the size and provide a means of draining the section, as well as getting air out either side of the dip.

You need to measure the temperature differential across the boiler at present and the power input.

In the situation that you have described you probably could but before doing so you need to check the current operating parameters.

Putting it in 28 mm might be more realistic but without knowing the answers I cannot make any positive suggestions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back