One Radiator Not Getting Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Bermuda backboiler installed in the house. The heating control is an electronic Honeywell one which is situated at the bottom of the stairs. There is a thermometer next to the hot water tank (square cut out of foam insulation so it is directly on the tank and has a springy cable to hold it in place) in the back bedroom cupboard. The thermometer and water pump is connected to a little white box with a circuit board in it, which then connects to the digital control panel at the bottom of the stairs.

I have 4 radiators in the house. The downstairs ones (living room and bathroom) are getting hot, as is the one in the spare room (which is the one closest to the hot water tank). None of the radiators have their own thermostats.

The radiator that isn't getting hot is the one in the front bedroom. On this radiator is a valve with a small rectangular shaped thing on the top, where a white cover is fitted which is marked + and -. This is turnable left and right.
On the other side is a larger valve that looks like an upsidedown triangle and this is marked on and off.
When the heating is on, the pipe with the small rectangular shaped thing on the top (Valve 1) is extremely hot and the larger valve (Valve 2) is cold. The radiator is only lukewarm.
I have tried bleeding the radiator and no air came out at all - just some black water for a couple of seconds and then a constant flow of lukewarm water.
When I looked at it before I went to bed last night, Valve 1 was only slightly open and Valve 2 was open fully. As I thought the Valve 1 was the flowvalve seeing as it was the hottest, I turned that around a few times to open it up more and kept Valve 2 fully open.
This morning I woke up after the heating had been on for a hour and the back bedroom radiator was hot as usual but the front bedroom was still only lukewarm as it was before.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can rectify this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it is airlocked or blocked with sludge in the pipe work.

Search on here for flushing and airlocks.

Thanks for the advice.
So, I'm going to need to take the radiator off. That should be easy enough as it's only a small radiator (maybe 600mm or something).
When I put it back on, will I need any PTFE tape or anything on the connections?
Also, before I go to this extreme, do you think it would be worth trying to balance the radiators? I'm wondering if turning the valves lower down on the radiator closest to the hot water tank? Could that be taking the more of its share of the water than it should. But I'm not sure what order the radiators go in from the tank because I have a downstairs bathroom in the extension and that radiator was probably installed after all of the others so could that be the last one in the system? If it is, then the front bedroom radiator will need flushing.

Sorry, I'm a bit new to all of this.

Sponsored Links
Yes balance the system first. I was assuming that you had already tried this and were still having problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back