one radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bled radiator in my living room to try and make it heat up, but it didn't work, the pipe that goes to the TRV is scalding hot, but it doesn't seem to be getting through to the radiator itself, any ideas? the radiator is below the living room window, and the TRV is next to an air vent. By the way, i'm a complete novice to this kind of thing, so laymans terms only pls lol

Sponsored Links
Is the TRV open? Is the lock shield open? Did it work before? Has anyone done any work on it recently?

Can you remove the head of the TRV? it might have a stuck 'pin'

Andy

valves at both ends are fully open, checked the pin, it doesn't seem to be stuck, it used to work, and it was bled a couple of weeks ago, and when the guy left, i discovered the trv head had been left off, i replaced it, but it didn't seem to help

valves at both ends are fully open, checked the pin, it doesn't seem to be stuck, it used to work, and it was bled a couple of weeks ago, and when the guy left, i discovered the trv head had been left off, i replaced it, but it didn't seem to help

What did he do? Call him back.

Or turn off working rads to force the water round the system.

Andy

Sponsored Links
that seems t have had some effect, but the bottom of the radiator isn't as warm as the top, and it's not as hot as the rest of the radiators in the house were before I turned them off, and part of the pipe that leads to the lockshield valve seems to have been crushed somehow, would that be part of the problem?

and part of the pipe that leads to the lockshield valve seems to have been crushed somehow, would that be part of the problem?

Drain down and replace faulty pipework, there could well be debris blocking the flow.

What did the other guy do?

Andy

I have no idea what the other guy did, but whatever it was didn't take long, and how would I drain the radiator?

What did the other guy do? Did you pay him? What did you call him for? More info needed.

To change the pipework you will need to drain down the whole system or use a bung kit. If not sure what to do then it might be best to call another plumber.

Andy

I didn't pay him, he initially came to mend the boiler, and I mentioned the radiator, he went to have a look, but I don't think he actually did anything, except maybe take the TRV head off, I didn't pay him, due to me being a council tenant, I could call them out, but I was hoping to solve the problem myself for once lol thanks for your help anyway :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back