One way query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a great forum
have been flicking through some of the questions answers and seems that the advice is
with a simple one way switch the Live goes to common and the switched live (black) goes to L1.
However the books I have been ploughing through seem to suggest the Live goes to common and the switched live (black) goes to L2??

Does it matter if switched live goes to L1 or L2 ?

Infact any links to the physiology of wiring and electrics and switches,etc - alot of how to's out there but not much on what does what and why side.

Sponsored Links
Perth said:
This is a great forum
have been flicking through some of the questions answers and seems that the advice is
with a simple one way switch the Live goes to common and the switched live (black) goes to L1.
However the books I have been ploughing through seem to suggest the Live goes to common and the switched live (black) goes to L2??

Does it matter if switched live goes to L1 or L2 ?

Infact any links to the physiology of wiring and electrics and switches,etc - alot of how to's out there but not much on what does what and why side.

it does matter with L1 and L2. if u get it the wrong way around, the switch will operate upside down. most use common and L1 for 1 way, but i kno (some of) crabtree use L2. altho some have 1 and 2 way printed on

Com is connected to L1 when the switch is in one position and to L2 when in the other, so if you use L2 instead of L1 the only difference it makes is that the switch will operate the other way up.

In simple 1-way applications it works just as well if you feed power to L1 or L2 and use the COM terminal as the return to the light.

Sponsored Links
Snap!

Just to add to Andrew's comments that with some makes of 2-gang switches you have to use L1 on one and L2 on the other if you want them both the right way up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back