ongoing issues around damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, would appreciate a bit of advice. Basically about 12 months ago i noted some damp/discoloration appeared on the bedroom wall. I was aware the property needed repointing and made arrangements. The day before the builder began reppointing the guttering burst leading to excessive water getting in in the area of discoloration (guess a smaller leak had occurred unnoticed some time earlier). I repaired the guttering the following day and this area was reppointed approx one week later. I left the wall to dry out for approx 2 month, when I began sanding ready to decorate it became obvious the plaster was still damp, rotten and crumbling on this wall and therefore I hacked the wall back to dry out.

I left this for several months as I was away from the property. A few weeks after returning I noted a patch of damp come through onto the bare tricks in the same place as before and noted the leak had re occurred. Again did a repair and left the wall to dry out again approx another couple of months. At this point the wall appeared dry. I applied 2 coats of pva and had the wall plastered by a professional plastered. The plaster was very deep several inches and took approx 6 weeks to dry out. The plastered left some small plaster marks on the corner of the adjacent wall. I then mistcoated the new wall and redecorate the room in white emulsion. Carpets were stripped and all furniture tipped.

After the final coat I noted a yellow stain on the newly plastered wall near the area of the initial leak (I suspect the plaster may still have been slightly wet due to wall still containing moisture from the leak). Strangely their was also some yellow staining on the corner of the adjacent wall, this is approx 1.5metres from the were the leak had occurred and not an area which has been plastered (a small amount of plaster had overrun onto this wall - before painting I tried to scrub this plaster off will wet scourer and had wondered if the bits of plaster had still been slightly wet when I put the 1st coat on). To remedy thisI painted these areas with some anti damp paint which covered the stains completely and put another coat of emulsion on - it looked fine and appeared to cover,all good, or so I thought.

I have just had a roofer coat the aluminium gutter with fibreglass paint?! (He sugested this as an alternative to replacing yesterday due to difficulties in joining replaced guttering to the neighbours). I've had this done as I suspected a new, small leak and dont want the damage reoccurring.

Today I noted a couple of small brown patches coming back through on the corner of the wall adjacent to the newly plastered on (around were the plaster overran) I suspect this may be mould? Although locations a bit odd as I don't think the damp reached this area. I have painted over this with the anti damp paint although probably shouldn't have done having looked it up on web which suggests cleaning with detergent before repainting.

I don't want to keep having to repaint and mess about with this and I'm really concerned that the mould has come through so quick. Any one got ideas as to the cause of the new stains? any suggestions to resolve this once and for all and prevent further stains/mould?

Sponsored Links
Just noticed too that if I rub the top half of the section of wall which I've just noticed the brown stains on I get white powder on my hand.

The leak has been sorted as i said, also had no rain for the last week and andsuspected mould is on a different wall (which is a side wall and has no guttering). Hence me asking if anyone could shed some light on why the stain/suspected mould would appear now/in the location it has and how best to eradicate it for good. Assuming the leak had been sorted.

Sponsored Links
The leak hasn't been sorted. Water ingress doesn't happen by magic. Get some new guttering.

The roofer who worked on the gutting (on Monday) tells me it is sorted. We haven't Had any rain since so I can't really dispute this. The point I am making is it is not water ingress which has occurred in the last week as we have had warm sunny conditions so even if the roofer is wrong and hasnt resolved the issue it is not a new leak which has caused the small brown stains.

you should not have pvaed the wall either. now it's wet/damp it will fail.

agree with joe, get the gutter sorted correctly, then redo the plaster.

Why don't you pva the wall I was under the impression that this should be done to prepare for new plaster (it was stripped to the brick). Plasterer was made aware and said this was fine. The area which the new stain has appeared isnt on the wall which was pva' d and plastered its on the adjacent wall. What should have been done to the wall prior to replastering?

Have got the roofer coming back today so will ask him to especialy check the area closest to where the stain has appeared - although it's an end terrace and their is no guttering directly above the area.

Ta both.

pva is water based.... when it gets wet it dissolves, fails. :rolleyes:

The area which the new stain has appeared isnt on the wall which was pva' d and plastered its on the adjacent wall. What should have been done to the wall prior to replastering?

Ta both.

fix the leak :rolleyes:

I know PVA wouldnt stop a leak (only fixing the leak will do that, i did use waterproof PVA, this was simply to ensure it took to the wall even if their was some residual dampness within the wall) - I didnt use the PVA to stop the leak (I fixed the guttering to do that), but rather to prime the wall. From your initial response I got the impression that PVA was a bad thing to use for this as in it will make problems worse than not using it. Get what you mean about dissolving though.

I have been told by the proffesional roofer I have employed that the gutter is no longer leaking and that any existing leaks have been repaired/ all required work completed.

I posted on here to query the likely origin of a coule of new stains, condsidering:

-the new stains which appeared yesterday cannot be caused by a current or very recent leak (last 5 days) as we have had no rain.

-It seems unlikely, although possible that these stains were caused by either of the 2 known historic leaks as the stains are on a differant wall (aprox 1.5 metres away). The wall where these leaks occured has been stripped, left to dry as bare bricks for months before been primied, replastered and decorated - since the last known leak and their was no evidence of it spreading to this wall.

-this wall has no guttering dirctly above it.

-I was monitoring the guttering for several months prior to having the plastering done and since having it done(externally for runs of water, water gathering/covering and internally for evidence of damp/water ingression on the bare brick wall) their was no sign of any ongoing leaks.

The above facts would appear to conflict with the information that water ingression from a current leak is causing these stains, their is currently no rain and therefore no water to be leaking now or in the last 5 days.

I appreciate water ingression from a previous, additional and unidentified leak is possible (as recently as 6 days ago, last rainfall) - on this basis I asked the roofer who I have employed to undertake the work on the guttering to look specifically at the end of the guttering today to check that their wasnt a leak and that water wasnt getting behind the guttering and running down the adjacent wall (end of terrace wall) - he has reported that the guttering is completely sealed and the felting etc! is fine, however he has advised that he has pulled the tiles forward as they werent overhang the guttering as much as they should.

I initially contacted the roofer to replace the gutter who on viewing it stated due to it being aluminium gutter running the lenght of the six terraced properties it would be difficult to rejoin and would be better off clearing and drying out the guttering, repairing the existing guttering with a couple coats of fibre (glass?!) paint, checking the felting (replace if required) and alighnment of the tiles and recoating the current gutter, this work was partially done monday and has been completed today.

I have been advised by the roofer that the guttering is now fine and their are no current leaks!

So to summurise (based of course on me trusting the roofer):
- their are no current leaks and havent been for the last 6 days (not rained since then).
- A couple of very small new stains appeared yesterday they are a light brown colour and essential appear like someone has flicked watered down hot chocolate at the wall.

What is likely to be causing these-
- a previous leak that I didnt know about which has caused water ingression (would this have appeared whilst the leak is occuring or 6 days later as its drying out as this has?)
- mould as the historic leaks continue to dry out? (does mould appear on an adjacent wall or just the are were the water ingressed).
- other cause?

and; considering the likely cause what should I do to resolve it? (assuming the cause of the leak has been resolved and its no longer leaking), IE:
- Do I need to do anything to dry it out (if appropriate)?
- What do I need to do when its dried out (if appropriate)?
- If its mould whats the best way to get rid and prevent re-occurance (if appropriate)?
- Other ideas?

Hope this clarfies things a bit!

like I've said, pva no, no. waterproof or not you can't use it to glue plaster to a damp wall. it fails.

how old is your house, just as a matter of interest?

is it a solid wall or cavity?

Yeah thought it had dried to be honest looked and felt dry and was consistent with bits that hadn't suffered as part of the leak. Gave it 4 months all in all tho they was a much smaller re leak after about two. Needed the room back or would have left it longer.

Built 1890 end terrace house. Single wall. Ta.

It's not near a chimney breast is it?

Not really. The wall with the chimney breast (prop side) is adjacent to the wall which had the leaks (property front) It is the same wall as the new small brown stains appeared but the chimney breast is in the middle of this wall the stains at the far side approx 1.5 metres away. The walls on chimney breast don't seem to have any issues paint covered really well.

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back