Only getting 7v on shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my electric shower replaced as it had stopped working, only after the working having been done the new didn't work either.

Turns out it's an electrical issue.

Only 7v are showing instead of the usual 240v.

Is this likely to be a broken mcb (Wylex NSB32 B32) or something more serious?

Voltage was tested before and after the isolator by the shower.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Just had my electric shower replaced as it had stopped working, only after the working having been done the new didn't work either.
An expensive way to learn that a bit of diagnostic work would have been a good first step.

Is this likely to be a broken mcb (Wylex NSB32 B32)
No.

or something more serious?
Possibly - depends what's wrong, where, between the CU and the switch.

Is it safe to assume that there isn't an RCD somewhere which has tripped?

Unless you are comfortable working inside a CU, and unless you can spot an obvious lose/broken/detached cable from the shower MCB, you'll need to get an electrician to investigate.

I'm afraid I don't know much more than he used a multimeter at the shower and at the input of the isolator for the shower.

He was a plumber/ gas safe engineer...

Just trying to get an idea of what may be wrong to see if I bother calling someone out or condemn it as being too costly and just turn off at the MCB on a permanent basis.

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to assume that there isn't an RCD somewhere which has tripped?

Goes straight from MCB to isolator to shower so no RCD.

Unless you are comfortable working inside a CU, and unless you can spot an obvious lose/broken/detached cable from the shower MCB, you'll need to get an electrician to investigate.
[/quote]

Much happier with electrics than water and electrics at the other end!

So if it's not an obvious break or loose connection the CU then it's likely a new cable from MCB to isolator?

Thx

I'm afraid I don't know much more than he used a multimeter at the shower and at the input of the isolator for the shower.
Hang on - who was this? The person who installed the new shower, or someone you called in after you installed it and found it wasn't working?

He was a plumber/ gas safe engineer....
So, not an electrician.

So if it's not an obvious break or loose connection the CU then it's likely a new cable from MCB to isolator?
Dunno.

Why should a cable which had been OK, suddenly need replacing?

Goes straight from MCB to isolator to shower so no RCD.
Are you saying that you can see the entire length of the cable run, and therefore can presumably be fairly sure that there's no obvious damage along its length?

Are you sure that the MCB has been switched back on properly? Some of them have to be pushed right down before they will turn the power back on when the lever is pushed up.

Kind Regards, John

Given it is an electric shower I would question the size of the MCB at 32A against the KW size of the shower and the size of cable as well.
A check of the dual pole isolator wouldn't go amiss either.

Hang on - who was this? The person who installed the new shower, or someone you called in after you installed it and found it wasn't working?

Plumber swapped it and did those checks.

[quote
He was a plumber/ gas safe engineer....
So, not an electrician.[/quote]
Correct

jireson";p="2914321 said:
Dunno.

Why should a cable which had been OK, suddenly need replacing?
The full story is the shower stopped working a year or so ago.... no lights coming on. I had no idea what was wrong. I managed to recently pick up a new shower for £29.99 so decided to call someone out to check and replace if necessary.

I've ended up with a badly fitted shower, half on tile half off, with a cutout open on top, with plasterboard showing around (Where previous shower was tiled around) that has no elecs to it.

So, likely original issue was that something went ary with the electrics...

Got to love it eh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back