Oops, used screws for one length of solid wood flooring!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Well, I laid my wooden flooring at the weekend - intended to use a portnailer but couldn't get to grips with it and decided to abandon that and use adhesive (this is onto existing floorboards) as I'd done this previously in the dining room and it's great - been down 2 years too.

Right, after abandoning the secret nailing idea I decided to secret screw the first length of boards in order to have something solid (and square) to work from when glueing the remainder. I couldn't just start from the wall (leaving the expansion gap) as I had to take into consideration getting around the hearth of the fireplace and wanted a full board going across the front of this.

So, now I was just checking on here and found a few posts saying do not screw the boards as this will prevent expansion etc. and could lead to buckling! Now, I'm hoping I may get away with it as it is 'only' one row and the remainder are free to move. But I'd appreciate your opinions which will hopefully put my mind at rest!

Should I try and get the offending boards up before I add the cut down boards against these and add skirting etc.? Or do you think I will be OK. Screws used were about 1.5" in at a 45 degree angle (like the secret nailing technique). Would you suck it and see - I don't think the temperature varies a lot in that room and they obviously have been fitted in the the warmer climate. Was hoping they'd be more likely to shrink and only expand back to their current size come next summer.

Anyway, any thoughts please?

Cheers
MM

Sponsored Links
Hmm, you could get away with it, depending on how many screws you used in total and how long the length is.
If something happens you know at least what might be causing it and 'repair' it then.

Screws were about 30cm apart over 6 metres, apart from a middle sectio missing fir the fire of about 1.5m.

I think I'll finish off the job and hope for the best!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back