Open-ended Terrace Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I hope someone can give me (on behalf of my Grandson) some advice.

He has a terraced house and the ends of the loft space are partialy open - you can see through to the neighbours loft at one end. There is just the shared chimney in the centre of the space but there are wedge shaped openings at each side of it.
The neighbours on the other side have just used bits of board which is fine but the problem is that the neighbours on the open side are not the cleanest of people (although very nice) and he often gets unpleasant smells in his attic. This means he would like to block that side up and seal it as well as possiblle and would like to know the best way to do so without causing any airflow/condensation problems. He had some tile vents installed a few yaers back due to condensation up there and doesn't want to do anything that will cause it to return.

His idea is to fill the voids with rockwool, make some basic framework and fix polythene over it and leave it like that or possibly plasterboard over the polythene as well.

Any advice as to whether this would be ok or not, or other methods would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Maggie

Sponsored Links
They are firewalls and should be at a minimum studded out and double sheeted with12.5mm gyproc to give a minimum 60minute fire check.

They are firewalls and should be at a minimum studded out and double sheeted with12.5mm gyproc to give a minimum 60minute fire check.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what you mean. Surely if there is nothing there at all now just blocking the ends off won't need to meet any fire regulations will it? :confused:
My grandson just wants to stop the unpleaant smells.

Thanks,
Maggie

Sponsored Links
I understand your point but if this firewall was required it would have been picked up on in the survey before he bought the house 5 years ago, wouldn't it?

That said, if he was to frame it properly and double board it, would it be wise to use polythene (like a vapour barrier, but for stopping smells) first or would that cause condensation problems, which was the basis of my initial question, or would just the boards do the job?

Thanks,
Maggie

What is the partial wall made from? if brick or block he can just fill in the spaces with similar, then seal any gaps with expanding foam.

If going for the stud wall method he will not need a vapour check, just double sheet, tape joints and expanding foam around the junction between roof and stud/plasterboard.

The centre wall is a brick chimney which has been dropped below the roofline (many years ago) and is about 5 foot wide. Each side of this are two triangular openings - abot 4 foot high and wide with the outer edges following the slope of the roof.
He did consider bricking it up but, due to the depth of the chimney, access to the tops of the party wall either side would be restricted and so framing/studding would be much easier.
As you say no vapour barrier is required, would insulation be needed/wise or would the boarding suffice?

Thanks,
Maggie

No insulation required. Attic spaces are by their very nature intended to be cold and draughty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back