open fire burning to much fuel

Sponsored Links
dmr - does the fire fret (containing a removable door at front base for ashpan access) have a hit & miss slider to control the draw? Does the damper not have a ratched (notched) arm stay for adjustment? No to both questions means you can't control it ... get back to supplier for advice. It is possible to fashion a loose stay for the damper from a strip of steel.

Just a thought ... you are making sure the fret door is fully (TIGHTLY) closed and that there are no air gaps - sometimes when the ashpan isn't pushed fully home it can interfere with the door closing.

hi yeah its no to both unfortunatly and its a up tight at the bottom bit of a crap design really starting to wish i never bothered. ive seen something like what your on about when i was searching its was a vestal poker damper thinking about getting one and doctoring it for mine

You sound like you have a fantastic draw from your chimney, others would like to have. Have you tried different types of coal, like coalite homefire ovals. They burn hot and more slowly. Even dare I say it, slightly damp logs. I have a part of an old fire back that I use to reduce the fire grate area so the grate contains less to burn and causes less air to come up from the ash pan area underneath. Shutting the door to the room stops the air from rushing in helping the draw. All these things I appreciate are common sense and obvious. The other one is that in time the chimney becomes less efficient as the walls of the liner/brickwork get coated in gunk and the draw gets less!

Sponsored Links
They'll also spall explosively :evil: hence the existence of firebricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back