Problems with open fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have recently removed my gas fire, had my chimney checked and then installed an open fire. Having thought that the fireback of the arched insert I chose would have done everything required I have found that although the fire burns well all the heat passes straight up the chimney.

I'm struggling to understand how this heat can be directed into the room. I thought that the insert's cast iron fireback would have been all that was needed and no further work other then back filling with rubble and concreting accordingly would have been required.

My arched insert is similar to the one found at this link http://www.castironfires.com/detail.asp?id=1466 Though the diagram dfoesn't make it clear the fireback is 3 sided with the sides coming off the back at an internal angle of around 135 degrees. The back and sides go up vertically.

I have tried burning both coal and wood, I didn't think this would influence it, and it didn't.

If any of you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly. I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have removed the gas fire in the first place.

Yours,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Guys,

I have recently found that although the fire burns well all the heat passes straight up the chimney.

Yours,

Mark
that`s what they all do ;) :LOL: and that`s why no-one uses them , only us old-un`s who like the effect, because we grew up with them ;)

If I want a warm house I have no option but to get a decent fire going in the hearth - it's not a cast iron fireback but an original fireplace. But in an area with no gas, and only night-storage electric heating installed there isn't much more of an option without room for an oil tank.

Have you got firebricks in there? If not you could try sticking some in - it might bring the centre of the fire out a bit and provide a bit more warmth. Check that you're using your fret to full advantage too, controlling the air flow. I spent a long time with a crappy fret and wondering why I was burning tonnes of fuel with no real heat return.

Sponsored Links
IIRC It's not unusual for open fires to have quite a narrow firebrick 'throat' at the base of the flue to restrict the amount of air drawn up the chimney, and to reflect some of the radiant heat back into the room.

If the chimney draws too well, it is not inconceivable that the fire will make the room colder, but if it is too restricted you end up with a room full of smoke.

The throats in the flues of many Victorian houses were little bigger than a large letterbox, making it very difficult to get a sweep's brush past them to sweep the chimneys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back