Open plan dining room and Fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can offer any advice. Just had a loft conversion to an existing 2 storey house. Building control officer stated that all the existing doors will need to be FD30 and i would need to install a Fire Door between my open plan dining room and my ground floor staircase. All my existing doors are hand carved solid oak so I really did not want to change them. I have overcome that problem by upgrading them with intumescent varnish which will give me the FD30 protection i need. However, my big problem is the erection of the door between the dining room and the ground floor staircase. Currently they are both separated by an open wooden archway measuring approx 6.5 feet wide with limited space on either open side for a door to swing open. I would still need to have a door even if i install a sprinkler system so I am stuck. My builders have told me that to overcome the problem, they will put in a fire door on a temp frame and once i get my certificate, it can be taken down. however, I would prefer a more permanent solution as am going to have an extension downstairs as well and will end up with the same problem. any suggestions?

P

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back