Open system CHS not refilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I know this has been covered a few times before but....

I have an open system with a feed and expansion tank in the loft. I drained the system to put in a next radiator the other day, no problems but the feed tank didn't empty even though the system was totally bled.

The new rad is in and all the correct valves are open but the system isn't re-pressurising. I thought there might be a blockage in the cold water feed from the expansion tank so have replaced a length of it (not all because it was extremely difficult to get to) but this hasn't helped.

There is no water in the pump and when I open the bleed valves on the rads upstairs nothing comes out. Anyone got any ideas?

Was thinking there might be a blockage further down the feed pipe, if there is how do i get rid of it? or maybe the pump is blocked? are there any other suggestions what might be wrong?

Cheers for your help in advance

Jules

Sponsored Links
your cold feed will be blocked just where it tees into the CH circuit

Ok, I've tried blowing down the expansion pipe with the valve to the rest of the system turned off so that the path of least resistance would be back up through the cold water feed pipe but no air came back through, does this mean it's definitely blocked?

I also managed to attach a bike pump to the expansion pipe and pumped air into the system, it held at 50psi! I didn't want to put more in than that in case i blow something up!

So am I going to have to put in a new feed pipe? and will the push fit PEX piping do the job?

Cheers

Jules

best way is to chop it out and clear the blockage in the sink and refit with some compression fittings.. if ya trace the cold feed down to where it tee's into the system and run a strong magnet over the pipework it can help indicate exactly where it is blocked ;)

or ya cud back fill it to get it workin for the time being

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your help guys, will go and buy the compression fittings tomorrow. Hopefully i'll have a working CHS by tomorrow evening!

Thanks for all your help guys, replaced the tee tonight and the house is now toasty warm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back