open vented system sucking in air HELP PLEASE

what am saying is if you had a system problem say a blockage etc. just because its a combined feed & vent that don't mean hot water carn't leave the system an end up in the f&e tank hench making it hot

then when the system is turned off it will draw fresh water back into the system bringing air with it..

Iv seen incorrectly piped systems with a combined feed an vents where the tank becomes red hot.

Sponsored Links
I can guess the fault.

My guess is that he stuck the pump in upside down.

A guess is just that and can be wrong.

You think he put the pump in upside down.

But what about being back to front?

But he does not even know which way round or which way up its meant to be.

Of course we know that it cannot suck air in on a single feed system but what we dont know is if the OP can even identify what his is.

His plumber friend does not sound plausible to me. If he really is a plumber then he will be able to identify and cure a simple fault like this. More likely he does not want to pay him. If I was asked what a fault is by someone who does not want to pay me then should I give him the benefit of my experience for free? He would banquet and I would starve!

Tony

5times, for pump over, you need two pipes. Pumpover means the pump is sucking water from the feed pipe (draining the header tank) and pumping water through the vent pipe (filling the header tank). This cannot happen when you only have a single pipe that is acting as combineed feed and expansion pipe. What you are referring to is expansion water ending up in the F&E cistern. You cannot have pump over in combined F&E pipe.

You can certainly have red hot water in F&E cistern due to cuffed boiler stat, but not pump over due to a blockage or whatever.

His plumber friend does not sound plausible to me. If he really is a plumber then he will be able to identify and cure a simple fault like this.
I concur. Could be of course that the plumber is a plumber and not a heating engineer, but still.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you think, based on no evidence, the problem could be several causes.

The OP has the advantage of the FAQ but still thinks there is air being sucked in. If the system is making noises like that then that makes me think the pump IS working.

However, he does not want to get that questionable plumber round or to pay a proper professional to sort out what is going to be a very simple fault.

Tony

Evidence - Banging

This is a DIY help site. What's the point if the only advice is to pay a proffesional.

Some diagnostic work is beyond most DIYers.

Their skill levels vary greatly.

A common mistake is to think that plumbing is easy and only done by thick people because thats all they can do.

Your problem can only be a very simple one.

you have the advantage of the FAQ on this site which has all that is needed.

Tony

Never mind him. Keep giving this site your findings. There are some other very helpful people on this site, who genuinely wish to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back