Opening an Acer Advent 5612

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one open up an Acer Advent to effect a repair ?

This laptop appears to have a loose connection between centre pin of the 20 volt power socket and the PCB. ( measuring resistance between the pin and chassis shows open ciruit until slight pressure is applied to the pin when 3K5 is measured )

So I need to open the case and inspect and make the mecessary repair.

Problem after removing all fixing screws the case will still not allow me to open it to expose the PCB.

Also need to locate a source of the Acer ( or 100% compatible ) spring contact power plug.

History is that the wrong size power plug was tried and this seems to be the cause of the damage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave.

It is not the same model but it does give a better idea as to how to open the laptop case. Will be doing it on Monday.

Bernard

Good luck with it.
I have never opened a laptop up but would find it interesting if I had some idea of what to expect and which ruddy screws to take out. :LOL:

dave

Sponsored Links
Good luck with it.
I have never opened a laptop up but would find it interesting if I had some idea of what to expect and which ruddy screws to take out. :LOL:

Sucess...... but not a job I would recommend for a beginner. I couldn't get to both sides of the mother board as removal of the keyboard defeated me.

The joint of the power connector centre pin was definately fractured. Top soldering has restored the connection and the lap top is once more working.

Glad to hear it, Bernard.

Where are all the pictures for a training thread? Or was the camera out of batteries? :LOL:

dave

Keyboard removal varies from laptop to laptop.

Some have little (retractable) tabs along the top edge of the keyboard (eg sony)
others have a removable frame at the top of the keyboard that has two screws underneath.

Fortunately just removing the lower half of the case and the heat pipe assembly was enough to get to the failed joint on the PCB

The very annoying thing was it worked for 24 hours and then failed again.

The hollow centre pin of the socket has a length of stiff tinned copper wire soldered into it to make the connection to the PCB. When repairing the joint of this wire to the PCB I in-advertantly emptied the solder from the joint inside the pin of the socket.

Sponsored Links
Back