Opening BG zone valve manually

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been getting RCD trips for a while when I put the CH radiators on.
I can run the hot water consistently with no problem, and if I take the CH electric via its own (RCD) extension from non-RCD side of the distrubution box, it still trips only when I use the radiators. But at least the rest of the power in the house stays on.

I have a Glow Worm Energysaver boiler and a single pump to two zone valves, one for the rads and one for the water. The radiator zone valve is British Gas with the codes BGMVSP-2 and NPC CODE 555212 written on.

I am assuming a problem with the valve rather than the room stat or boiler.

I figured temporarily ( BG can come around middle of next week under my Home Care plan ) to open the zone valve, but to get around the trip I would also need to disconnect the live and neutral wires coming into it. The problem is that the spade connectors do not want to come off. Are they soldered or something?
I can't see it very well at the back of the cupboard and I can't figure out how to remove the box from the pipe either. Hopeless eh?

Can anyone help? Now that the humidity has gone up again it is tripping pretty frequently and my wife is getting a bit fed up with the mains cable strung across the kitchen

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hmm. i wouldnt assume anything myself but the valves can do this sometimes with RCD's.

the head should come off the body by pressing the button on the side and pulling.

isolate the electrics and open it up. usually the microswitch is a charred mess.

or, if you remove the valve head and leave it lying on the floor then you can open and close the heating valve with your fingers, then you shouldnt need to find the short until BG get there.

Thanks nickso.

I found the release button round the back and have managed to prise off the brown and blue wires coming into the valve and taped them up. Also managed to turn the valve with pliers. Wait and see, I suppose.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back