Opening chimney, requires strong boy, lintel etc. (I think?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I want to install a wood burner. Had a minging 70's style giant brick brick monstrosity thing in there originally so I took that out. However, now I'm left with some crappy brick work and no obvious lintel - so much for finding a nice arch...

So. I'm now thinking this is beyond my limited DIY skills and best left to a pro. I think there needs to be a couple of strong boys put in place, the lintel installed, then the old brick removed and possibly some new brickwork put in under the lintel at the side. Is this correct, what’s a ball park figure for this job (central Scotland)?

Edit* The picture below shows a steel rod placed under what looks to be a brick lintel, I think this went in with the newer fireplace, not the original. There is another steel rod running along the back of this.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I priced it up not a million miles from you and they want 2.5k inc vat to do a full fit and line the chimney. I guess you would get similar numbers. You still need to buy a stove on top of that.

Auldton stoves is in North Ayrshire (Dunlop) and the guy there is very nice. I bought a woodwarm Phoenix firegem off him.

If the opening is less than 1m wide then you don't need acros iirc. Mine is 900mm wide and I didn't use them. Maybe you want to check http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk. It's full of good advice and I bought my materials off him.

Good luck

Graeme
Edit: need an RGI to remove the gas pipe front left of the pic, maybe talk to him.

Sponsored Links
As above, simply keep opening up and remove the metal rods - you actually do have the remains of an arch and any bricklayer (using a simple centre) could re-build one for you. But you will probably have to open up to a much higher height than the arch remains.

No need for a Strongboy the upper brickwork will hold.

There's plenty of info. on here ref. installing stoves - FWIW: follow my earlier posts on the subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back