Opening up a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now using it for an invaluable source of information, so thank you all for that!

I'm renovating a 1950s house and want to open up a fireplace in the dining room that has been blocked up at some point in the past. I have removed all the plaster (very badly applied) around the opening and have exposed the original opening and the wall surrounding it. What I have found is that the fireplace wall (what I have exposed) is made of concrete (?) blocks rather than brick (the rest of the house is brick) and as yet I haven't found any sign of a lintel.

I've had a look up the chimney in the lounge and it seems to have the same concrete block construction across the top of the opeining.

What I'm wondering is am I safe to remove the bricks blocking the opening without installing a lintel?

Would a cable detector pick up the metal in a reinforced concrete lintel or a metal reinforcing bar if it was present?

I don't want to knock out the in fill bricks and then find that the blocks abve it start to come down!!!

Some pictures that might help.

Fireplace with plaster removed.
Close up on concrete blocks and brick in fill
Marked up where I think the original opening should be (matches the sixe of the lounge opening)
view up the lounge chimney showing concrete block construction.
Fireplace in lounge - just as reference.

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back