Opening up doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm opening up what was previously a doorway in what I think is a stud partition wall. I've taken off the plasterboard and there is what I can only describe as a piece of wood stuck in the middle.. I assume in the hope that it will support the plasterboard, attached to the sole plate with some kind of plastic thing and a couple of screws.. I've taken this off.. But there are also two small pieces, in each upper corner running diagonally from the studs on either side up to the piece that runs across the top of the doorway.. I'm not sure whether I should remove these or not.. is it safe? Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Diagonally? :confused:

Any chance of a photo?

The chances are that as it is a stud partition then whatever needs removing (vertically) can usually be removed. i.e. making openings wider.

You couldn't for example remove material horizontally without compromising the structure.

they've just been stuck in the corners, they're not even against the studs properly.. looks like they've just been stuck in to hold the plasterboard in place, it's not even been nailed in, just plaster slopped over the edges.. I'm sure it's not a load bearing wall.. there's no wall above it, ceiling joists run parallel to it etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back