Opinion on best way to rationalise my plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for opinions, please.

I have a 4-bed detached house, approx 50 years old.

Since it was built there has been at least two, possibly three, changes to the plumbing.

This has left the house with:

1. A boiler downstairs, which runs the central heating and provides hot water for most of the house. Connected to this is an immersion heater upstairs (with a cold-water feeder tank and an expansion tank in the loft), and all of the radiators.

2. A combi boiler upstairs, which provides hot-water for what used to be a granny flat. Connected to this is an en-suite bathroom, and a kitchenette.

I want to rationalise the plumbing, for a couple of reasons:

1. The "granny flat" combi is very sensitive to changes in water pressure, and any taps turned on elsewhere in the house drops the pressure so low that the combi goes out (wrong term - the pilot is still lit, but water is not being heated)

2. I want to take the water tanks out of the loft.

A plumber has suggested something he called a "super-combi", which he described as about the size of a washing-machine.

Anyone have any opinions on this? DOes it sound a sensible option, and what are the pitfalls?

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Dave

Sponsored Links
The "super combi" is probably a storage combi. A hybrid of combi and unvented hot water storage.

If your water pressure is that low then you should not have had a combi fitted in the first place. A "super combi" won't solve your problem. Similarly, an unvented system will not work for you as they are also pressure sensitive.

So, looks like you're stuck with your cisterns unless you can get the water authority to up your pressure/flow rates.

Description suggests problem is pressure fluctuation, not low pressure all thet time. If so, chances are building internal plumbing and / or water supply service pipe from street are the cause.
Given that you're planning major changes anyway(?), replacing the service pipe might not amount to a big increase in cost. Have you linvestigated that?

Many thanks for the comments - I shall check down the pressure angle first, and move from there

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
there again you could have an un-vented cylinder, and connect the storage tanks to pumps and pump the whole house except the wcs.

if you had a cellar then tank and cylinder could be possitioned there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back