Opinions on this installation please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm interested in your considered views of this installation and also thoughts on an issue.

My mother-in-law had her conventional boiler replaced by a local fitter with a Gloworm Combi, I can't recall the model off hand, but if it's important will find out.

Looking at the attached pictures, what is the general consensus? The boiler was installed into small cupboard which was previously used to hang coats etc (so is fairly small). The cupboard also has the electric consumer unit and meter in there.

I think the run across the and under the front door is excessively long and pretty unsightly, as is the gas feed pipe up the front of the house.

It all works, however, if the hot tap in the kitchen and bath are run at the same time, the water pressure drops very low, apparently the fitter can't understand why this would be the case... any ideas on what could be done to improve the water flow?

Sponsored Links
As its a combi it will only do one tap at a time, looks a bit unsightly but pioe runs should have been discussed at survey stage. We can't see inside the house so going inside might be impossible/damage (too much). Seen worse.

There may be a flow limiter in the cold inlet to the boiler that ensures the water out the boiler is heated, open two taps this limit is split between the two. (I dont fit gloworm or Vallaint so thats a guess)

The gas run was surely brought up at quotation stage and agreed upon (you could paint it or camouflage it) Be thankful the gas was upgraded many poor engineers wouldnt bother!!! It may look bad but is necessary.

Just had another look, that gas pipe looks like its been there a while ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the comments, unfortunately it wasn't made clear to my elderly in-laws how the pipe run was going to be set up, it was a fairly rough time for my father-in-law and I didn't want them feeling like I was wading in and taking over... although I do regret it now to be honest.

newgasinstaller - how did you mean about the upgrading of the gas?

gigz - no it's a new gas feed, it was done last year (you can't see but the original pipe is just down the side of the house.

All that said, you're kind of reassuring me that it isn't the hospital job I thought it was with you comments...

At least he run the condensate pipe in 32mm...!

Most installs I've seen aren't.

What newgas means is the boiler will have needed a certain sized gas pipe, the old boiler will (probably) hAve had 15mm to it which could (will) have been too small for the new boiler. He mightened have been able to do it internally without causing damage to decor.

The paving slabs should been lifted and the pipe buried. Looks terrible.
For aesthetics and freezing protection to prevent blockage. Very shoddy workmanship.
Do gas installers not carry shovels these days to do their drainage work? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back