Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I contracted a local carpenter to hang and fit door hardware for 11 doors. The price quoted was £35+vat per door (he is a limited company, fairly recently according to Companies House).
Due to a mixup in my door order, I managed to get one door of the wrong size. I was told I would be charged extra for the second visit, but at the time, not how much. It was my error, so I expected something. 

In the interim the full invoice was paid, as at the time, the new replacement door had not arrived. He also added an extra £30 on the original quote because the new hinges were 4" not 3"

The 11th door was eventually fitted, and a new invoice of £90+vat arrived. I thought this was a bit steep and it looks like its a top line price for fitting just one door. (btw I'm in the Cambridge area and he is 30 minutes away from the job)
When I queried it I was told it was my fault for not asking at the time. 
Seeing as I had already paid the initial invoice, I was now effectively paying £125+vat for this 11th door, so I underpaid by 35+vat as I did not feel he had completed the paid for work on the first visit.

He's now filed through Money Claim Online (for an incorrect, higher amount)

Apart from the last point, is this considered standard practice? What are the chances of defending this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am self employed and to some extent I would say he is biting the hand that feeds him. I would deduct the original £35 as you did, as this work was not carried out due to a simple error, albeit on your part.

Regarding the final door being fitted you have to bear in mind the time taken travelling and getting tools out for just then one door. It will obviously be cheaper for more doors. I think the original quote was a very fair price.

So he is either too busy to not need more work from you or he does not like you for whatever reason I would say! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately you are a little bit stuck if you dont want a black mark against you. You could try trading standards who may mediate for you.

thanks for the replies.

the irony was that there was still a slight issue with the door opening. the width was about 10mm too wide. nothing i could do about that.

so he did not even have to cut the hinges into the door at all, they are just fitted flush to the stiles. and because of that I'm not sure he had to adjust the width by much either if anything at all. the frame was already already cut for the larger hinge on the first visit (for which he charged the extra £30). nice work if you can get it.

i think i will be defending it, if only to point out that he's trying to overclaim and then the court costs on top.

i'm not so sure that defending it whether successful or unsuccessful will affect your credit rating. it might cost you more if it goes to court, but principles aren't cheap :)

Sponsored Links
some quick googling suggest that even if the decision goes in favour of the claimant, provided payment is made within 21 days no CCJ is issued.

non-payment or the fact the debt has to be repaid over a period of time seems to be what would cause a CCJ to be issued.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back