Optima compact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help my Optima Compact isn't working

We had a power cut last night for about an hour and now the alarm won't work :(
There is still power to the alarm control panel and i've checked the main fuse box to make sure it hadn't tripped. There is no response from any of the keys on the panel.
What should I do?

Sponsored Links
what happens if you dissconect the battery?

(I am wondering is the battery so old and flat that it may be "dragging" the power supply to such a little voltage the panel doesn't respond)

OMG...its got worse :(

By the time I got home from work tonight the alarm was going off outside, not full volume and no blue light, but still that annoying whining noise. I got the front cover off the panel and removed the battery, as suggested, at which point the alarm kicked in full volume.

The state of play is now that the battery must be connected and the switch on the main fuse box flicked off in order to prevent wailing the whole street down, sadly I cannot sleep due to it still bleeting away in the external bell box at low level outside my bedroom window.

Surely there is a simple and straight forward way I can reinstate my alarm back to its fully functioning mode?????

as suggested, at which point the alarm kicked in full volume.

as i suspected, that means your battery needs changing

the battery must be connected and the switch on the main fuse box flicked off
That is because the battery is on its way out.

You MUST have the mains switched on (it normally is) you also need to get a new battery.

You can get them from Maplin (other suppliers of batteries are available)

Sponsored Links
Hi

thanks for the advice so far :)

I purchased a new battery today as suggested and have just swapped the new and old batteries over. The alarm is still going off full volume when I flick the mains fuse back on and now its got its new battery switching the mains back off doesnt silence the alarm so i'v had to disconnect the new battery as well :(

I tried entering our own security code as well as the codes in the manual- 0123 and 9999 while everything was connected but nothing seems to switch the alarm off.

What do you suggest I try next?

Thanks

That was the order I did it in. But I just tried it again to be sure.

Alarm battery live
alarm battery earth
mains fuse switch on
our security code in

I guess i'm still doing something wrong

No :(

I've just tried connecting the battery alone but its still ringing the house down even when i;ve entered our code. I have to disconnect the battery cos of the din the alarm is making the low level canary impersonation is less offensive even if it stops me from sleeping... but my daughter has offered to swap rooms tonight so I can have some proper sleep :)

Its soooo frustrating cos i'm sure its something and nothing that even a novice like me could fix.

No :(

I've just tried connecting the battery alone but its still ringing the house down even when i;ve entered our code. I have to disconnect the battery cos of the din the alarm is making the low level canary impersonation is less offensive even if it stops me from sleeping... but my daughter has offered to swap rooms tonight so I can have some proper sleep :)

Its soooo frustrating cos i'm sure its something and nothing that even a novice like me could fix.

there is - the C/U has spiked and needs rebooting.

simple

Wooo its fixed!!!
Thanks for all your advice.

My boyfriend got in touch with a mate of his who does alarms in his spare time and he came round this morning to fix it. As you've just said something had been corrupted. Anyhow, its all sorted and back to its fully functioning self. :)

I still wish i'd been able to fix it myself though :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back