optima ferroli

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have an optima ferroli boiler.
i'd like to add an external timer to the system so that i can turn it on/off by sending it an SMS (i have an auto dialler for the alarm system that has a spare output which i intend to use)

my question is: does my boiler have the capability for an external controller?
if not, would it be possible to remove the built in one and 'hotwire' the autodialler to the contacts of the old timer via a relay?

thanks in advance...
-Luke

154977_10200233529550995_617256583_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remotely switch a boiler or other heating equipment requires carefull thought as to how it is done. An add on must not prevent the boiler's safety systems working.

i can turn it on/off by sending it an SMS (i have an auto dialler for the alarm system that has a spare output which i intend to use)
? ? Autodiallers normally make outgoing calls and are not equiped to answering and decode incoming calls. Some can take commands from the telephone they have made a call to.

Could be costly if you rely on turning it off by phone and then cannot get through for some reason.

Remotely switch a boiler or other heating equipment requires carefull thought as to how it is done. An add on must not prevent the boiler's safety systems working.

i can turn it on/off by sending it an SMS (i have an auto dialler for the alarm system that has a spare output which i intend to use)
? ? Autodiallers normally make outgoing calls and are not equiped to answering and decode incoming calls. Some can take commands from the telephone they have made a call to.

Could be costly if you rely on turning it off by phone and then cannot get through for some reason.

i installed the dialler so know how it works.

i'll have it set so if it gets no 'OFF' signal for 90 mins or so, it automatically switches off.

does my boiler have the capability for an external controller?
Yes, of course.
That's what the integral timer is.
It just happens to be on the boiler.

It depends on how you want it to work.

If you want to control it solely from the dialler then you would have to set the integral timer to permanently on and interrupt its signal wire and insert the receiver - in series

If you want to control it by the dialler in addition to the integral timer then that is more difficult.
Turning it on when integral timer is off would entail wiring in parallel with the integral timer.
Turning it off when the integral timer is on would entail rather complicated wiring.

Sponsored Links
does my boiler have the capability for an external controller?
Yes, of course.
That's what the integral timer is.
It just happens to be on the boiler.

It depends on how you want it to work.

If you want to control it solely from the dialler then you would have to set the integral timer to permanently on and interrupt its signal wire and insert the receiver - in series

If you want to control it by the dialler in addition to the integral timer then that is more difficult.
Turning it on when integral timer is off would entail wiring in parallel with the integral timer.
Turning it off when the integral timer is on would entail rather complicated wiring.

i was going to get rid of the integral timer all together and replace it with an external timer with an override input. the override input would be the equivelent of pressing override on the integral boiler (if its off, it becomes on untill the next off program and vice versa). the override input would be what the autodialler is connected to.

i know how to do electrics and stuff. but i don't want to break my boiler. all i really need to know is where to connect the new timer?

thanks,
Luke

No need to remove it.
Just set permanently on.

Do you have boiler manual?
Do you have room thermostat?

No need to remove it.
Just set permanently on.

Do you have boiler manual?
Do you have room thermostat?

no manual unfortunately, hence this post. i googled but couldn't find any manuals for my specific boiler, and none of them said how to add an external thermostat anyway :(

the radiators have stats on them, but i will also be adding one.

Is this yours?

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/Optima-901-Manual.pdf

Page 30 - bottom r.h.corner no.72 - Wire as if room stat.

Careful - there is another 72 top l.h.corner - obviously a misprint.

I would recommend fitting a room stat. as well.
Saves the boiler wasting itself when TRVs are all off although it takes some tweaking to balance the rooms.
Wire in series with dialler.

Is this yours?

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/Optima-901-Manual.pdf

Page 30 - bottom r.h.corner no.72 - Wire as if room stat.

Careful - there is another 72 top l.h.corner - obviously a misprint.

I would recommend fitting a room stat. as well.
Saves the boiler wasting itself when TRVs are all off although it takes some tweaking to balance the rooms.
Wire in series with dialler.

oops, didn't see your post. you must of posted it as i was writing mine.

yes, that is my boiler! thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back