Options for rainwater discharging straight into drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is not in the right section, other drainage threads seemed to be dotted around all over the place.

We have recently moved into a house where one of the downpipes discharges onto the drive. The drive is sloped away from the house so we don't get any damp and all the water runs into the road but it's far from ideal as in winter the drive goes green with algae, it's probably not doing the block paving much good and if we get icy weather it will be a death trap.

The house is 1930's and where I have marked in red there is clay drainage pipe for grey and foul water from the back of the house. At some point someone has also put the downpipe from an extension into it.

The downpipe furthest away appears to go into a soakaway, there are no other downpipes anywhere else.

Options:
1) I believe (?) that due to the age of the house it would not have separate foul and surface water sewers so it is permitted to discharge surface water into the combined? This would be by far the easiest and least disruptive/expensive option and I don't understand why they didn't do it when they did the driveway unless it isn't allowed.

2) Do away with that downpipe all together and just use the soakaway - it seems that due to the size of the roof one downpipe would be grossly insufficient and I am also not confident in the condition of the soakaway. It's also very possible it is under the garage so loading this up with any more water seems like a bad idea.

3) Run a new drain and have it come out of the garden wall to drain into the road (this appears to be what 70% of other houses on the road have done unless it is just drainage for their retaining walls).

It's not a huge priority but it is a niggle and we are having some scaffolding up anyway so if there is the need to re-work some guttering and downpipe positions now would be an ideal time.

IMG_20221020_081751.jpg

IMG_20221020_081829.jpg

Sponsored Links
Where does the rain water for the garage go?

There is a downpipe on either side of the front of the garage. One goes into a little gravel area and the other goes onto the driveway :(

Not decided on the best way to deal with that either. I was thinking it might be possible to move one downpipe to the rear of the garage and dig a small soakaway e.g. a hole with some gravel in. Not measured the roof yet to calculate the size of soakaway to see if this would be viable.

there are no other downpipes anywhere else.
The two down pipes pictured on the house serve the entire roof? That's some impressive guttering..

1) depends on your conscience. No one would know, or pull you up it

2) what do the back of the buildings look like? More downpipes and multiple small soaks possible?

3) when you say drain into the road, does the water flow across the pavement first?

Sponsored Links
The two down pipes pictured on the house serve the entire roof? That's some impressive guttering..

1) depends on your conscience. No one would know, or pull you up it

2) what do the back of the buildings look like? More downpipes and multiple small soaks possible?

3) when you say drain into the road, does the water flow across the pavement first?
Thank you for the reply, yes those two downpipes do everything.

The back, bit awkward due to window placement etc. We are everything to the right of the pitched roof extension.

The road doesn't have any pavement.

Attachments

• IMG_6500.JPG
    IMG_6500.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back