Orange B.Band and smart tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the above set up using wifi to connect. The tv say the sign is weak. We can get BBC I PLAYER on a iPad in the room that has the tv with no problems at all. The router is upstairs and the tv down. Any info would be good .
Peter

Sponsored Links
The iPad is buffering the signal, so it doesn't matter so much that the signal comes and goes. The TV doesn't buffer, or if it does then only to a very much smaller degree. It relies more on a constant wireless signal.

Wireless is pretty crap compared to a cabled connection. There are so many things that can interfere with the wireless signal. Try looking in to running a Cat cable from the router to the TV. This will be the cheapest option and give the TV the fastest connection speed. The second option is HomePlugs. This is wired networking using the mains cables as Cat cable. Google it.

Thanks for the info.Chris. Orange are about to update our router to there latest type. After giving it a try I will get back here and let you know how it worked out. After that will look into your idea of a Cat? Cable then the HomePlugs. How green am I. I should have done a bit more reading about Broadband and smart tv connections before getting the set. All looks so simple and strait forward in the shop. My fault for not asking more questions but having done some research into the need for the correct type of dongle, we went ahead and got the tv. To someone like me with no IT knowledge, DIYnot is a blessing.
Pete

lol Pete,
There are lots of people inside the IT world who haven't a clue about wireless, so don't beat yourself up.

I'd be surprised if changing the router did much for the wireless dispersion around your home. That is governed more by things that block signal i.e. foil lined insulation, stone and brick walls, steel lintels, bodies of water, the aggregate effect of walls and floors over distance, and the position of the router. If it is shoved up in a corner because it looks neat then that will mess up the dispersion.

The other thing is sources of competition. A typical 54g router works in the same frequency range as cordless telephones, wireless baby monitors, bluetooth devices, 2.4GHz TV senders, etc. In fact most wireless devices try to share the same frequencies. It's crowded. Then there's your microwave. Heat up a bowl of soup or defrost a loaf and it will dump interference all over channels 2 to 7. Don't forget as well you have neighbours using these devices and their own routers too.

N routers are less prone to interference because they use the 5GHz frequency range as well as 2.4GHz. However, unless your TV uses 5GHz too then there's no benefit.

Your typical Help Desk jockey probably won't have a clue about this, or if they do they'll be told not to discuss it. Sending out a new router makes it look like they're doing something and most customers would rather try that than be told it's because of the house or next doors wireless door bell.

Let us know how you get on, but in the meantime try moving your router about.

Sponsored Links
Oh my god, I did not relies how little I know about IT . My wife and I are both on the wrong side of 50+ and a lot of this is new to us although we try to read and find out as much as possible, it's the fine detail that makes all the difference. Got to say Chris that I like the look of the HomePlugs. I dont want to run cables all over the place etc so the Plugs maybe the way to go for us. Anyway just so pleased that there is another option if the router when it turns up, is not up to the job.
Think I will try and work out the best type of HomePlug we should be looking at just in case...
Pete

O/k, this is the update. Got the new Orange router and as you thought, it's much the same as the old one. So to the next plan as suggested by Chris, we now have on order a set of HomePlugs.
I will update again when the plugs are fitted and let you know how GOOD IT WORKS or not as is the case!
Pete

Right, got the HomePlugs today and was a simple job of just pluging in each plug and cable, that's all I needed to do, no set up needed.
Once switched on the tv connected with out any buffing to the BBC IPlayer. Can not ask for a better setup, works as should, so Chris was correct.
Peter :D

I'm glad the Home Plugs work well for you. I had a feeling they would. :)

How about you doing something to help those who might read this thread in the future? Hit the "Thanks" button on my first reply to your initial inquiry. That's the one where I recommended Home Plugs. :)

Good to hear it's working.

While homeplug gear will work out of the box you should use the vendors software to set an encryption password and prevent others accidently or maliciously joining your networking. The inductance of your electricty meter provides some protection against external devices joining but you should still setup an encryption password.

Well i live and learn.
Thanks plugwash, can i ask just how to set a password? We put in all the necessary "things" when we got the router updated. The plugs just plug in and work. Should we now add some kind of extra passwork for the plugs?
pete

Homeplug units have an "encryption password", all home plug units with the same encryption password and in within electrical range of each other will be on the same network. The plugs should have come with a software utility for setting the encryption password.

This is usually done via you web browser. There will be an IP address starting 192.168. that you type into the address bar of a browser. That will open a browser window to configure the home plugs. These pssswords are nothing to do with the wireless password for the router.

O/k thanks you two. i will have a look. The plugs did come with a disc but me being me, when the set up worked without the need to use the disc, well, ...
pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back