oriel/bay window condensation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an upstairs bay window that is always full of condensation in a morning when i wake up.
How do i solve this?
I have double glazing but the window area is very cold.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

:)

Sponsored Links
Does the bay 'stick out' at the sides, or has it got a flat roof?
The cold you feel is probably from poor insulation in one or both areas.
Even if it's a pitched roof on the bay, it sounds to be lacking insulation.
Is your loft well-insulated?
If you have room, the cheap option is to insulate the inside. 2" to preferably 4" of polystyrene sheet on walls and ceiling covered with the thermal-backed plasterboard.
The expensive option is to get a builder in and start again! ;)

That's my humble opinion.

it has a ptiched roof and sticks out.
the loft is well insulated but you can't get to the bay window roof from the loft.
it has glass to both sides so can't insualte the sides.
thanks for your advice, i think trying to insulate the roof and bottom is the way forward.

cheers

What is below the window? Under our upstairs bay the wall was an outer layer of render and an inner wall of plasterboard - the cavity is approx. 3 inches. I removed the inner layer and filled the cavity with compressed insulation then replaced the plasterboard (using plasterboard screws as I did not want to disturb the render by banging in nails).

The room does not suffer as much heat loss or outside noise and it has helped with condensation reduction - still not as effective as a proper cavity wall though.

Sponsored Links
Best way to solve this is to open the window, or install a vent.

Insulation will only make condensation worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back