OSB boards for sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I just bought a house and in the process of refurbishment. I removed old carpets and now have old wooden subfloor which sqeaks and not ideal. Do you think that it would be a good idea to replace it with OSB3 boards, or just screw every wooden planks on the floor so it stays in place and doesn't squeak? I am planing to put Hardwood floor on top of it

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
1. Dont screw or nail anything down unless you know whats below it.

2. If your present boards are tongue & groove i would definitely keep them.

3. Research on here or the building forum for how to lift T&G without splitting it. Then carefully establish where any cables or pipes might be running.

4. If necessary, follow the surface nailing or screw pattern of any boards that have been previously lifted - remove the fixings to lift the board out.

5. I've got nothing against OSB, and if hardwood is going on top its fine.
Your OSB screws must not penetrate below the T&G.
But first you must eliminate all squeaks and any bounce in the joists before laying the hard wood.

6. It might pay you to pay local floorlayer to give you a view, and recommendation as to materials and how to? Maybe OSB or Ply is not necessary?

7. Remember that these layers will raise your FFL at doorways (& skirtings ?) etc.

Thanks a lot dann! Boards I have at the moment are not tongue & groove, they are pretty old, maybe 60 years old or so and I can see my kitchen through them :) I will be removing skirtings and putting new doors as well, so slightly raised floor level should not be the problem. Once again, thank you for your reply!

Sponsored Links
If you use osb 3 then I would advise you to rub candle wax along the t&g to eliminate squeaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back