OTR Micro Venting Quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of changing a regular range vent to a OTR microwave/vent unit. Everything was going peachy until I discovered that the required microwave wall venting does not quite line up with the existing vent opening -- I'm 1' short on the left side and need to expand the opening by 1". The problem is that there is a stud so I can't expand the opening.

Unfortunately I can not move the unit 1" to the right. This leaves me with 2 options: Forget outside venting and use the recirculation mode (not crazy about that idea). Or change to vent through the top into the cabinet above and then back into the wall. But I would still need to jog right 1" to miss the stud.

Opinions please! thanks!

Sponsored Links
Not seen these in the UK, [this is UK site] looks pretty dangerous having a microwave high above stove , still US not known for CS. You could remove an inch of stud to allow alignment, if it's a narrow stud then could be strengthened by adding a sister stud to the other side , but means more work to tidy it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back