our chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well folks my neighbor decided to remove his chimney breast from both floors. not sure exactly what remains in his attic.
what we now see when we look at the chimney from outside is the leaning tower of Pisa.

to his side the entire chimney stack is leaning, with cracks that look similar to what you would expect to see with subsidence appearing from the top of his pot across diagonally, see photo

my Q is does this pose any risk? IE is it just biding time til it collapses, also who is responsible for the repair of this, considering he removed the chimney breast himself, unlikely he has any valid support in place.

many thanks folks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I would be knocking on the door and asking to see what they are playing at.

They should be supporting whatever is left in place.

You can check with the councils building control section to see if they have been involved.

If not, insist that they investigate

Otherwise damage to your property (eg party wall) is a civil matter or for your insurer

I cant find your photo but if its leaning do as woody suggests get it investigated.

Sponsored Links
1. How do you know what your neighbour has done inside his house? Are there any signs of disturbance in your party wall/chimney breast?
2. Prior to removing a c/breast, or a portion of a c/breast your neighbour must inform you when he applies for Council permission in his Party Wall Agreement form.
3. The cracked brickwork appears to be of some age and stops at the corbelling, hence it would appear unlikely that the stack is tilting.

A full-on photo from both front and back elevations would reveal more. Angle pics are deceptive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back