Our house vibrates from HGV's and buses, should I be worried?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we recently moved into our new house. The mortgage survey showed no issues and as there were no visible signs of cracks or subsidence we did not opt for a proper survey.

It’s been a few weeks now and we’ve noticed there is substantial vibration from passing HGVs and busses, more noticeable upstairs. We’re on a fairly busy main road and were aware of potential noise issues which didn’t put us off and still doesn’t, but following extensive rain fall I’m convinced the vibrations are getting worse, though my wife doesn’t agree. Initially I noticed the windows rattle, now I can feel it in the floors and walls. Sometimes it feels like the house is being hit by a tidal wave. i don't know if it is noise or ground vibration, or a mixture of both.

Our house is approximately 30ft from the main road, elevated by approx 10ft, separated from the road by our driveway and lawn. There are houses along the road literally right on the curb so we’re by no means close to the road in respect to others.

The speed limit is 40mph and obviously traffic does go faster. The road appears in good condition, but the issue is worse on the opposite side of the road which is on the bottom of a slight hill and at the end of a long stretch where traffic has sped up. It is worse here where vehicles pass over two drain covers. This sends shockwaves through the vehicles and into our property. If it wasn’t for these then I don’t think the problem would exist.

There is no obvious sign of damage in the house so I am not worried about subsidence, but being clad in wood I don’t know what lies beneath on the outside. In the detached garage there is a crack than runs all the way up the structure, slicing through the breezeblocks. I don’t know how long this has been there but it still appears strong with no signs of distortion.

I’m looking for advice here. Should I be worried? I’d like to have the house surveyed with vibration monitors but I’m having trouble finding someone who offers this service. Would building a front garden wall with a deep foundation help eliminate the problem? Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
4G78uX.gif

There are thousands of houses 30' from a main road, and thousands more even closer. There is no structural issue why that should be a problem.

A wall won't be of any use. All buildings vibrate to some degree.

Hi Vegasgo!
I know that this is an old thread, but it's just become very relevant to me! I was just wondering if you found a way to reduce the impact of the traffic-related vibrations?
Did you have any dealings with your local council regarding the issue of potential damage to your property?
Hope this message finds you well!
Olly

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back