Out building permission, just confirm for me please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so we needed another shed as the original was full of worm so we went down to our local supplier. We had to take our 6 yearold daughter with us despite complaints that "sheds are boring!"
Of course when we got there she changed her mind and now wants a playhouse of her own.
I've seen posts on here concerning permission and what's allowed and have looked at a planning site but would like confirmation that I'm reading it all correctly.
It seems I can cover half my garden with sheds up to a height of 2.5m to eaves or 4m to ridge without permission but anything on legs I would need permission even if it's lower than one that sits on the ground :confused: , have I got this right?
There are a lot of these raised playhouses on e-bay with no mention of how they stand(no pun intended) in law. I'm actually more inclined to construct one of my own and liked the legged versions as I've had an idea of using the space underneath to store the lawn mower (ok so the garden isn't small but I just like that idea).

Sponsored Links
1/2 the garden minus any extensions garages other sheds since the house was built or after 1948 if older
maximum raised platform is 300mm without planning

try asking your neighbors iff no one objects who is to know

2.5m if within 2m off the boudary

Thanks both,
I had looked at that site freddy but I suppose I just wanted confirmation that I was reading it correctly. It just seems odd that I could potentially erect a playhouse that is built on the ground and be bigger than one on legs but would only need permission for the latter :confused:
I'm probably just going to go ahead, the neighbours won't mind just as we don't mind that he's putting up a platform that must be abouit 5-6feet tall at the bottom of the garden. To be fair it's scteened by trees and only really overlooks the roof of my workshop anyway.
One thing that isn't fully clear to me is the 1948 rule. I can see how it works in the majority of cases but here's our case- house built 1928 and it had a large outbuilding which used to be a pigstye and presumably this is how it stood in 1948. However, sometime later , around the early 1970's the land the pigstye was on was sold and it became the garage of a new house. Surely this wouldn't count for the calculations done now would it?
On an aside , I have said the garden is fairly large and it's unlikely that we would roof over half of it although we do have a greenhouse and to date seven sheds of differing sizes. When the last one went up I said to the other half that we could now name our sheds after pop groups now that we have "shed seven " :LOL: only to be greeted with a blank expression and the question "who's shed seven?" :cry:

Sponsored Links
its to do with overlooking other people the 300mm rule if your deking was say 1m high your neigbour would have reduced privacy
and the 50% rule also applies to decking

any part off the building pre 1948 is not counted as an extension but part off the footprint so your 50% is off that footprint

any part off the building pre 1948 is not counted as an extension but part off the footprint so your 50% is off that footprint

That's interesting.
Thanks for indulging me on what is in all honesty an hypothetical case.
So the pigstye is not an extenstion as it is pre 1948 but was on the same plot of land as the house in 1948 i.e. within the '48 footprint.
As said part of the land was sold in the 1970's to build another house. If we were to say for arguments sake that the land was divided up into two equal parts would this mean I could cover half of the 1948 footprint ,or my entire present garden, with sheds or decking ?
It just seems a farce or a legal loophole or a goldmine for solicitors :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back