Outbuilding 30m2 floor area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hi guys, I'm going to start my shed/workshop at the bottom of my garden soon and want to go as large as possible without building regs.

The planning portal says I can go upto 30m2 floor area.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

I am assuming that is internal floor size, Can anyone confirm?
Also assuming thats right would it be:
A. wall to wall
B. Plasterboard to plasterboard
C. Skirting to skirting

Sponsored Links
I would assume external sizes but don't know for a fact

Common sense for me to assume that planning is generally concerned with the external appearance

No planning needed. Will be 2m from all boundarys, <2.5m Eaves and <4m apex, Garden is approx 12m wide x 80m and thats just the back so nowhere near 50%.

When I look at porch's (for planning permission) it specifically says "the ground floor area (measured externally)"

For building regs on outbuildings it just says:
If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

Nothing about the floor area being measured externally....?
Personally I would class a floor as being inside a building. As I say I just want to go as large as possible and if I can take into account the room the walls will take up I can add about 4m2 extra

Sponsored Links
It's A. Gross floor area between the internal faces of external walls.

People might not fit plaster or skirting so they don't count. They would not make much difference anyway.

I am planning the same in a couple of years and I would prefer to avoid building regs for reasons of cost, but do they actually want to check foundation depths, security (part q) and all the rest even if it's a glorified shed? So if I decide on 40m² it's probably not a good idea to build as one building?

Document Q is only for dwellings so unless you have beds in there you wont need it that.
Might still be worth doing though for security and if you wanted to try and change the use at a later date.

Footings and structure would need to comply though.

I have umm'd and arr'd about going bigger but if I was going to do that I would want to go wider which would also mean getting planning.
I dont think they would have a problem with it but its just extra expense

Quick cheeky one. Would this be considered a veranda so not doable under pd?
garden-house-in-portland-w100715-s-4_zpsbu4akqp4.jpg

Thanks Woody
You could probably build something quite crazy and huge if you know all the rules lol.
The ground at the end of my garden is now leveled and today we will be digging the footings now that we know the size I can go.
I still haven't 100% decided on the design of the roof or the internal layout. I would like to do a bit of a soffit overhang at the front with some downlights in it if/when I work out a design.

What do you think to the extra front gable (or maybe a dorma)? Is that allowed?
The loft space will be used as storage and any extra space I can get up there would be handy, Also I would like to put a triangle window in it above the bifolds to let light in.

I'm pretty sure one of my neighbors will already be drafting a complaint letter to the council, He will probably have a fit when he sees the frames go up (we fell out years ago as he thought he could dictate to me what I can and cant park on my driveway) so everything does have to be within PD.

I think a dormer should be fine, not so sure about a gable, but as long as overall it's still technically a duo pitch roof under 4m should be fine.

Can anyone else confirm on the gable/dormer idea? I would prefer a gable if possible with a nice triangular window in it?
Still digging, 15 tons of topsoil gone so far!

is this a level floor or is there a mezamin level as i am sure that would be dissaloud as a raised platform
just my opinion though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back