Outdoor concrete stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have an old victorian house that has stairs upto the 1st floor entrance.

Under these stairs is another entrance to the basement. I have had to damp proof most of the basement, but as the electricity and gas supply comes in and is located under the outdoor stairs, it was not possible to do this area.

We have been advised (and i have seen many houses with similar) that some form of paint, a bitumen paint, would protect the stairs from damp / water leaking into this outside bit, however, most bitumen paint seems to be for roofs.

I also want to paint the stairs a grey colour, as opposed to black which most brands of bitumen come in.

Your help on both these queries would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've just bought some Aquaseal bitumen, which is for floors and walls. It's black - well, it would be, being bitumen - but maybe you could lay stone tiles on top of it?

thanks for your reply.

I found that Aquaseal stuff down at local DIY store, no intention to lay stones ontop of it (cost and like the steps as are at moment).

Is this this right thing to do anyhow, to primarily prevent water / damp leaking into brickwork?

Understand that bitumen is black in nature, but have definately seen similar type paint (thick coating) used around? any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back