Outdoor flexible cable for a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have recently purchased a PIR with a dusk/dawn feature and an outside door lamp for our house.

The installation instructions for the PIR just say to use 3 core flexible cable (live, neutral and earth) of 1mm squared gauge between the PIR and the lamp/indoor switch. As the PIR is going outside I am sure the normal kind of flexible cable found around the home on computers, hoovers, kettles etc etc is not suitable. My question is what kind of cable should I be using?

PS. The PIR is going to be attached to the wall above our front door so it will be about 8 feet above the ground, the lamp will be about 5 feet above the ground so I am guessing it doesn't really need to be super duper armored cable to stop rodents chewing though it etc, it will just need to be weather proof. I have tried googling and all I seem to find is armoured cable, does the cable I require exist?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It needs to be resistant to extremes of temperture as well as mechanicall durable.

Hi-Tuf would do the job. You can buy it by the metre here:

Hi-Tuf

DEAR DAVE. A SUITABLE FLEXIBLE CABLE YOU COULD USE IS CALLED ARTTIC CABLE IT IS VERY DURABLE AND PROVIDED ITS INSTALLED PROPERLY IT WILL LAST FOR YEARS.ITS A LOT LIKE STANDARD FLEX AND YOU CAN FIND IT IN PLACES LIKE SCREWFIX AND B+Q.

Sponsored Links
care to re-edit that and lose the CAPS?

do they make arctic flex in colours other than blue or yellow?

as it's unlikely to be impacted where it is, and doesn't need to be flexible for every day use ( odds are it'll never move again once installed ) then the Hi-Tuf would be my sugestion too..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back