outdoor light problem

I have to agree with EFLI.

It's pointless faffing around with a second hand fitting that supposedly has instructions that do not give wiring details.

For the cost involved, just replace it and have done. To boot, you get a brand new fitting with a 12 month guarantee.

It is a new one I'm trying to fit so already has got guarantee.

I would put brown to brown then red to the white like the original light but don't want to risk it.

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed we've hit two pages for a simple light with a L&N connection!!

Put your L&N into the two empty terminals, if it works (which it will) then great. If not swap the red and brown wires over.

If you didnd't have your old light, you'd have never even questioned this.

Different manufacturers use different colour schemes.

I'm amazed we've hit two pages for a simple light with a L&N connection!!

Put your L&N into the two empty terminals, if it works (which it will) then great. If not swap the red and brown wires over.

If you didnd't have your old light, you'd have never even questioned this.

Different manufacturers use different colour schemes.

I put the other 2 wires into the two empty terminals which it didn't work.

if I swap the red and brown wires over and they aren't in the wrong place it could get nasty surely...

Sponsored Links
Nope. It'll either work or it wont.

Swap them over. If it works, then great. If it doesn't then take it back to where it came from, and get a new one.

this is ridiculous.
Have you used a multimeter to test that there is 230v appearing on the blue and brown wires. Just to check that you haven't blown a fuse or something while you were messing around?

Still smelling a rat....

New light fitting...wires swapped round...instructions don't give wiring details...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back