Outdoor Light - Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, im wanting to do a spur from a double socket for an outside like, and just want to make sure im doing it right, Do I spur from the double socket with 2.5 twin and earth to a fused switch with a 3 amp fuse, then use 1.5 flex to the outside light?

Thank

Sponsored Links
What size cable is the socket circuit you are spurring from?
Is this socket part of the recognised circuit, meaning it is not already a spur or if it is has this been connected via fused connection unit?

I would always use the same sized cable as the circuit, that I was taking the spur from. Then you can terminate that to the fused or switched fused connection unit and down rating the fuse 3A should be okay.
If the cable from the the FCU to the light is the going to be routed outside and the light mounted on the outside of the house, using a suitable flex is fine, providing the route which the cable is going is not in an environment that it could easily be damaged, by being knocked about. If it is then mechanical protection must be considered.
If the light is being fitted to the side of the house and flex going directly in to the fitting, with no outside connections, ie junction boxes this work will not require notification to building controls.
Do you have RCD protection on the socket circuit?
If it's a garden light or being fitted to another structure, more info will be needed.

Hey thanks for your reply, Its coming from a double socket on the ring main circuit, 32amp fuse 2.5 gray twin and earth cable. After the Fused Switch it will be going directly to the outside light, wont be easily caught on anything and screwed right onto the house wall.

Also im not sure if i have RCD protection on my socket circuit, Iv just moved in and the consumer unit isnt very new, what do I look for?

Ty

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back