outdoor security lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed 2 PIR security Lamps (each of 60w).

I have wired them directly to the mains supply from my garage with a 3amp fused plug! Is this OK?

I had to take the light switch out of the circuit as it kept tripping the rcd on the mains board??

I am currently having problems as the lights stay on permanently once the plug is switched on? I have tried resetting the circuit as described in the instalation instruction but to no avail?

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Were there 4 terminals in the lights? You will have L, SL, N, E where SL is the feed from the PIR to the bulb. I bet you have connected Live here. It should be to L.

How have you wired each light?

How did you wire the switch? Did it trip an RCD or an MCB?

The 3amp plug is fine, though i think you mean 13A plug with a 3A fuse fitted.

crafty1289 said:
Were there 4 terminals in the lights? You will have L, SL, N, E where SL is the feed from the PIR to the bulb. I bet you have connected Live here. It should be to L.

How have you wired each light?

How did you wire the switch? Did it trip an RCD or an MCB?

The 3amp plug is fine, though i think you mean 13A plug with a 3A fuse fitted.
there were only 3 terminals in each light! all i did was connect the live - live, neutral - neutral and earth - earth to the connection block in the light fittings!
I have run both lights in sequence then to the plug!
the switch tripped the rcd on the master board

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
ok, the switch: i suspect you connected it thus:

lives to com
neutrals to L1

Clue: never connect neutrals to switches - sure fire way to create a neutral-live short, passing thousands of amps. This will trip an MCB, and possibly an RCD.

Does the PIR in the light have some adjustments on it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back