Outdoor wall light installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I wish to have some outdoor wall lights installed in the near future and I'm just in the process of working out costs and seeing if it is feasible to do myself or if not approaching a few electricians for quotes.

I currently have external plug sockets in the back garden, they are the fully IP rated type that have the kind of cover that can be fully closed over an in-use plug. These sockets are fed from a spur from the downstairs ring which is protected via an RCD at the consumer unit.

As per opening paragraph, I now wish to install some wall lights on the back of my house and was hoping / thinking that the most feasible way would be to either do the following

1) Run a "spur" from the external plug sockets to a fused switch. The lights are wired up to this fused switch spur and the switch will naturally control the switching on / off of the wall lights. Is this feasible / compliant? Could I do it myself or is this classed as Part P work?

2) Wire the wall lights to a standard 3 pin plug (fused accordingly) and plug them into my sockets. The wall lights can then be switched on / off using the switch on my socket plate. Is this feasible / compliant? Could I do it myself or is this classed as Part P work?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
All work has to comply with Part P, in addition, some work (such that you propose) is notifiable if done "DIY".

As per opening paragraph, I now wish to install some wall lights on the back of my house and was hoping / thinking that the most feasible way would be to either do the following

1) Run a "spur" from the external plug sockets to a fused switch. The lights are wired up to this fused switch spur and the switch will naturally control the switching on / off of the wall lights. Is this feasible / compliant? Could I do it myself or is this classed as Part P work?
Since your external sockets are already spurred from the ring final circuit you cannot run another spur from it unless the original external socket is itself protected by a 13Amp fused connection unit. If this is the case then you can run 2.5mm2 T&E from this socket to a 3amp fused switch.
You must comply with Part P and this will be notifiable.

2) Wire the wall lights to a standard 3 pin plug (fused accordingly) and plug them into my sockets. The wall lights can then be switched on / off using the switch on my socket plate. Is this feasible / compliant? Could I do it myself or is this classed as Part P work?
Yes you could do that - wouldn't look very nice - but again you must comply with Part P and since the lights are fixed this would also be notifiable.

Not sure what price you Local Authority Building Control charge for Part P notification but it can be quite high and often it is more cost effective to get electricians who are members of a competent persons scheme to give you three quotes. They will also determine the best way to achieve your goals.

Riveralt, very helpful reply, thank you. I'll take it on board that this is work to be undertaken and certified by an electrician.

So thinking on my feet now, the question / proposal now changes to the following. Sorry for any incorrect terminology but hopefully you get what I mean.

Given your feedback am I correct in assuming the following is compliant? I'm asking so that I can put out an initial proposal to electricians to get consistent quotes.

1) Install a 13 Amp fused switched spur in between the indoor downstairs plug socket (protected by RCD) and the outdoor plug sockets.
2) Connect up a fused switched spur (suitably rated fused) to the outdoor plug sockets
3) Connect up the outdoor wall lights to that fused switch spur

For clarity, would I be correct in assuming the following items would be suitable for use as the "fused switch spur" device I refer to

Indoor - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html
Outdoor - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56410.html

Thank you

Mike

Sponsored Links
Given your feedback am I correct in assuming the following is compliant? I'm asking so that I can put out an initial proposal to electricians to get consistent quotes.

1) Install a 13 Amp fused switched spur in between the indoor downstairs plug socket (protected by RCD) and the outdoor plug sockets.
Yes or replace the indoor socket with the switched fused connection unit (fcu)
2) Connect up a fused switched spur (suitably rated fused) to the outdoor plug sockets
Yes using the cable size I suggested - you will need to take line, neutral and earth from the fcu protected outside socket to the 3Amp fcu switch.

3) Connect up the outdoor wall lights to that fused switch spur
Yes using a minimum of 1mm T&E.

Note: although I have highlighted T&E this is normally for indoor use only - so unless it is protected by conduit of some kind you might want to look for some outside rated cable like hi-tuff or rubber covered cable.

For clarity, would I be correct in assuming the following items would be suitable for use as the "fused switch spur" device I refer to

Indoor - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html
Outdoor - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK56410.html
Yes these are okay or other brand equivalent - good idea to have the indoor fcu switched because you can then isolate the outdoor sockets and prevent anyone pinching your electricity when you're not there. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back