Outside BAR

As I said before, I frankly very much doubt that a fridge compressor start-up would trip a 10A MCB, and I honestly doubt that even two would (if they happened to start simultaneously), either.
I know that they can be surprisingly high - I wouldn't like to predict that 1 would be OK on a B10, let alone 2, without checking the maker's specs...

Sponsored Links
And, surprise surprise, another example of a cretinous maker/retailer who thinks that "Energy consumption: 215kWh per year based on standard test results for 24 hours." is the info needed to design a circuit for it. :evil:

Also, that really doesn't look like a fridge designed to be installed outside.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the warranty, a fridge like that probably won't work properly outside, as the surrounding temperatures will vary too much.

HI

OH i've seen the same fridges used out side, what's a cheap option?

Thanks
Jake

As I said before, I frankly very much doubt that a fridge compressor start-up would trip a 10A MCB, and I honestly doubt that even two would (if they happened to start simultaneously), either.
I know that they can be surprisingly high - I wouldn't like to predict that 1 would be OK on a B10, let alone 2, without checking the maker's specs...
As I said, I was only expressing 'doubts', but I think they stand up to a few guesstimates and rules-of-thumb. The start-up surges of the sort of small motors we are talking about usually last for 1 second at most - so one would probably need about 50A of start-up current to trip a B10 MCB (if it were functioning per spec). I think the start-up 'inrush currents' of such motors are generally around 5 times normal running current, but I think may be as high as 10 times. A typical small fridge is 400-500W, say 2A, so one might expect around 10A (possibly as much as 20A) at start-up.

Let's face it, many kitchens have a fridge and freezer running off a ring which will at times be heavily loaded, so if the fridge/freezer start-up currents were all that massive, the 32A MCB of the RFC would trip at compressor start-up - but that's not something one commonly hears of happening.

Having said all that, as I wrote a day or two ago, I certainly would not suggest or advocate 10A socket circuits under any circumstances. However, although it would be nice to get confirmation of the fridges' specs (if such information were easily available, which I supect it may not), I think I would be fairly comfortable with the idea of two fridges on a B16 or B20 MCB.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back