Outside cable run - conduit or reinforced cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ought to state up-front that I'm being fussy...

I want to run about 3 metres of Cat5e cable (for a network connection) horizontally along an outside wall. I would like the cable to be protected from damage so looked for reinforced Cat5e cable but couldn't find any. Does it exist?

Alternatively, I could use rigid or flexible conduit. Problem is, I don't want it to look too unsightly yet the run is interrupted by a small external chimney breast which means the cable run will pass through two internal and two external corners during it's run.

In my opinion, using four typical inspection elbows with rigid PVC conduit to get around the obstruction will look odd/bulky. I've also seen outside flexible conduit installations and they look really naff because they sag badly even when supported every few inches. Is it possible to use a combination of rigid conduit with the flexible type used to get around corners? Can I connect rigid and flexible conduit together?

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
What are you protecting the cable from exactly?

I can't help feeling that this is an OTT solution unless there's something you haven't told us in the thread about how the cable might be damaged. This then begs the question: - Why use plastic trunking?? That won't provide much impact resistance.

There is that of course, what is going to be hitting it? Can you not reroute?
Or use steel conduit, with formed bends rather than elbows.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your views. Food for thought.

The SWA cable was of the type I was looking for but I hadn't realised just how much bulk this reinforcement adds - 15.5mm OD and no doubt pretty inflexible. Still in the running though.

I've now seen some Cat5e cable that's specifically designed for outdoor use and is also suitable for burial, evidently. It's not reinforced but seems to be rugged and is UV stabilised. Perhaps not exactly this but something similar (and available in the UK!) could be used without conduit. Might be a good compromise.
http://www.pccableonline.com/Tripp-Lite-N007025GY-Cat5e-350MHz-Molded/M/B000ANOXDC.htm

I have two reasons for wanting to protect the cable:
(1) Sunlight. Many plastics become brittle when exposed to sunlight even if they have UV protection. I suspect most of the cable I had previously seen was primarily intended for internal use so I didn't want to use it where it would get strong sun exposure.
(2) Physical damage. The cable will run alongside a narrow garden path about two feet above ground so vulnerable to knocks from garden equipment being moved (wheelbarrow, shredder, ladders, garden tools, etc).

The Cat5e cable I've actually seen to date (indoor stuff) seems so flimsy, I wouldn't be happy to run it anywhere outside, especially not alongside a path (perhaps I've only seen cheap cable?)

Indoor Cat5e is fairly thin. That is quite normal. Outdoor stuff comes in a couple of types: UV stabilised, and the gel filled stuff for burying or running in conduit. The gel prevents moisture build up corroding the cables. Then there's the armoured stuff you've found.

For such a short run I'd consider burying the stuff. Either that or getting indoor Cat5e run in the wall cavity or under the floor if possible. The other alternative is using PowerLine adaptors (A.K.A. HomePlugs) to act as a bridge.

Also bear in mind that a thick coat of outdoor paint will protect cable from the effects of UV and moisture for quite a long time.

I'd use a good quality branded external grade cat5 - just Google for suppliers, plenty of choice.

We use it on wireless links, there are often long external runs involved getting lashed by the rain and baked by the sun on rooftops.

It had a very tough outer jacket which is far more UV stable than standard cable. In fact, the jacket is a similar or same material to external grade phone cable BT use.

It is not much larger in dia than standard cat5, and looks neat when surface clipped.

Thanks to advice from forum members a week or so ago, I've decided on solid conductor (4 pair) external grade UTP cat5e cable that will be pinned along a 3m wall run where, at each end, it will enter the building. No problem so far, but now it needs to be terminated. As usual, these things aren't quite as straightforward as I had hoped...

I need to terminate with RJ45 sockets at each end. Could I use a wall mounted box with an RJ45 socket at each end? Daft question perhaps but can I connect a double RJ45 socket (at each end) to the single cable or would I have to run two cables to do this (just thinking of possible future expansion)?

Also, what tool would I need to terminate the solid conductors at the RJ45 boxes? Seems some tools and RJ45 connections suit stranded conductors whilst others suit solid ones?

General thoughts or specific advice very much appreciated.

Yes a wall mounted box with an RJ-45 socket at each end will be fine. To connect a double socket and have another independent outlet you will need to run another cable. One socket, one cable.

Always run in additional cables if you think you might need more, it only takes a little extra effort.

To terminate the cable onto the sockets (faceplates) you will need an IDC punch-down tool of some sort, commonly refered to as a Krone tool, should cost you about £10.

Faceplates are designed to be used with solid cable, you cannot reliably terminate stranded cable on them. Stranded will loosen over time and cause you issues.

Stranded cable is only really intended for patch leads where you need the flexibility. It is meant to be terminated on RJ45 crimp plugs, which have contacts designed to work with stranded cable. Some crimp plugs are designed for solid cable, for situations where you need to terminate some directly.

So putting faceplates on each end of your external grade cable, then using patch leads from them to connect your devices is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back