Outside drain pipe - Central Heating cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we just recently had an issue with our boiler, over christmas the taps weren't drawing water, yet the heating was ok, so we put the heating one so we could at least get hot water from the taps when we needed it.
After Christmas, we got a plumber in, and he replaced the Divertor valve. This was now working ok.
He checked the pressure going in and was ok.

However, on the same day, later on in the evening. The boiler cut out light came on, and the pressure had dropped. At the time, I checked the rads, and didn't really notice any air. One hot water tap though when he was there wasn't turned on, so we did this and a lot of air came out, then water ok. I increased the pressue to 1.5, and all was ok, heating was back on.
The next morning, I woke early and the house was cold, the light had come back on again. 2 other places that weren't turned on were the showers, so I did this and more air followed by water came out. Turned the heating on and this was on ok, in fact the light didnt go out for some time.

It was on and off over the weekend, but getting a longer period inbetween, so something appears to be happening. I did find one rad all of a sudden with a bit of air in, got this out, but opened the valve a bit more, and quite a lot of water and air bubbled out. Seems to have gone now.

It is still happening, But I have noticed, it tend to be more when the heating has been off for some time. I now suspect it is to do with the small copper drainage pipe out the back of the house. When it seems to happen,(as anyone in the UK knows at the moment) it is very cold. This morning was -3.5 . The pipe is just bare, no lagging on it. If we put a warm towel over this, water drains away, and the heating is fine. We also were suggested to put a bag over it, but this fills up quickly with water. Want i want to know, is it normal for much water to come out? It's not gushing out, but have noticed when the heating is on, it trickels out from time to time. Am I on the right track with this? I am going to put some lagging on this pipe, and just need to make sure I leave the drainage hole free.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back