Outside Gate - Locking from outside only, combination lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Wondering if anyone has a nifty solution for the above. It's the only entry point to the back garden. Two situations I want to cover:

1) convenience - it's the main exit route from house to car with armfuls of babies and supplies, a thumb turn would be fine but don't want to fart about with keys or bolts if we don't have to

2) locked out of house (e.g. front door blowing shut). We need to be able to get into the garden through this gate without keys (potentially only armed with a dressing gown and the rising panic of children being locked inside), so a combination lock seems perfectly suited to this

When originally thinking about this I thought there would *obviously* be a sturdy Suffolk Latch out there that could be padlocked from the thumb-press side. With a combination padlock this would do everything I wanted, but alas I'm having real trouble finding one on the interwebs.

Any tips appreciated. If it was just me I was catering for then I'd just jump the fence, but it's grandparents etc. we're trying to cover!

Cheers!

Al

Sponsored Links
I use a combination lock on my rear gates and another on my garage where I keep a hidden set of keys in case I get locked out the house .

Thanks to you both. @flameport Keys aren't an option due to being locked out without keys is exactly the problem I'm trying to solve. The push-button locks seem like a good idea, I guess I'd assumed they weren't robust enough for permanent outdoor exposure but looks like I could have been wrong there

Sponsored Links
Keys aren't an option due to being locked out without keys is exactly the problem I'm trying to solve.
If you change the front door lock to a normal one which needs locking with a key, it will be impossible to be locked out with no key, as you will need the key to lock the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back