Outside kitchen waste drain blocked

did say that on sunday.

least it done now
ok-wink.gif

You did say that on Sunday, but yesterday turned out to be the the earliest I could get to the DIY store to pick it up. In the meantime I thought I would try the arm method rather than leave it.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks regsmyth - so that's a kind of open/close mechanism? Not sure I am following still. Why would you have the sleeve in, in the first place?

Well, just for your info, though I guess not very relevant or interesting now, the top edge of the sleeve seals against the inside of the trap, the bottom edge hangs clear of the bottom of the trap. The trap works by leaving the heavier stuff like dirt, jewellry, and heavy gunge at the bottom of the trap, allowing the water to flow out.
The water maintains a constant level (ie level with bottom of outlet hole), thereby preventing sewer smells getting out (the raison d'etre of all traps!)
If you get too much gunge in the bottom, the water can't flow past it, the trap fills up and overflows. At which point you scoop out the gloop, pull out the sleeve, wash it all down and refit it. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
I read with interest all the posts on what to do for a blocked drain. It all sounded a bit technical for me, so I decided to try a kettle full of boiling water and then plunge the drain with my old mop. Woo Hoo it worked a treat, took a matter of minutes too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back