Outside light wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if anyone can help................

Yesterday we dismantled our old shed and took out the old lighting. Inside there was a double plug socket a light and a on switch. The feed came from the garage on a big grey wire containing a black, red and earth wire.

The feed went to the ceiling rose and then another wire from the rose to the 'on' switch.

I have bought a new outside light which I have put up and dragged the old wires back through the garage door.

On the new light there is a blue, brown and earth wire with a choc box on the end - how can i connect the wires together so the outside light works on the old 'on' switch from inside the garage??? Do i need some other connection in between the feed, choc box and 'on' switch???

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S - I have reconnected the old double plug socket back together so at least we have extra sockets inside the other end of the garage.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You need the switched live, neutral and earth that the original light would have been connected to.

Im not sure what you have done, but it sounds like you've taken the wiring out of the old shed in one piece, and wound it up in the corner of the garage still live :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back