Outside Light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, am wiring an outside light straight from the consumer unit via a switch. is it alright to connect the T & E from the c. unit to the switch, and then from the switch to the light? or do i have to wire it like a run-of-the-mill interior light/switch circuit? little help would be good. cheers! :eek:

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with wiring via the switch

you should either use terminal block in the backbox or a dp switch.
i would go for the latter so that when it is off it is completely isolated this is especially so if it is shareing the rcd with the rest of the house

wire from a 6A mcb in the rcd side of the CU or a 6A rcbo in the non rcd side (former is cheaper latter elimanates the risk of loseing power to yoru whole house if there is a leak in the outside light)

Sponsored Links
that was nearly as damp as mine, still i will wave goodbye (for now)

i belive it is un wise to make a conection at the switch with the aid of a turminal block to join the neutral as if that becomes a ban connection or undone as the switch is tighten to the wall you will then just be left with the phase wire at the light end live and could diss not pose a risk of shock

daren j said:
i belive it is un wise to make a conection at the switch with the aid of a turminal block to join the neutral as if that becomes a ban connection or undone as the switch is tighten to the wall you will then just be left with the phase wire at the light end live and could diss not pose a risk of shock

Who said that? I can't see it in any of the above posts - where did you quote it from?

Anyway- whoever said it is talking nonsense...

i noticed that, i think darren j wrote it, but hasn't quite ot the hang of the foums yet (and not noticed the spell check button either)

a lost neutral in any situation has some risk but its fairly minimal (you shouldn't be sticking your fingers in a lampholder anyway even if you think it is off (this is why we do no use TN-C in the uk)

provided the terminal block is of a suitable size and properly tightened using it behind a switch is not a problem i would use a reasonable depth box though to give yourself room for the terminal block

another slightly safer possiblly easier and slightly more expensive way of going via the switch is to use a double pole switch like http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU2010.html

plug, i shouldn't waste your time, i am sorry but i have just seen some other of daren j 's posts

breezer said:
i noticed that, i think darren j wrote it, but hasn't quite ot the hang of the foums yet (and not noticed the spell check button either)
Pot, meet Kettle; Kettle,... Pot
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back