Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install an outside light at the back of my house and was wondering the easiest way to do this?

There is a normal double socket behind the wall that I want to put it on, my questions is:

Can I cable the light into a 3amp plug, drill through the wall and plug this into the plug socket on the other side. I am looking to install a security PIR light so not too fussed about switching it on and off. I assume I would need to use some weather proof cable?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Firstly the bad news is that i think it is a notifiable job, adding a new external lighting point.

To your question; I would spur a 3A fused switched unit from the double socket, if the SFCU is installed internally it can be a standard one, if externally obviously it has to be IP rated (suitable for external use).

you need to check that the double socked is not a spur or has already a socket spurred of it. This has to be protected by RCD, if the socket you intend to use is on a circuit with a RCD protection this will satisfy the RCD requirement.

As this is going to be a fixed connection, you can connect the light fitting to the SFCU directly, using a switched unit will allow you to control the light and isolate when needed.

Thanks for the reply Albert,

It is a new build house less than a year old so would you expect the circuit to have RCD protections.

The socket is not a spur.

Is what I suggest definitely a no no or is it just not the preferred method?

Thanks,again.

Its a half arsed method.

This work would only be notifiable if the socket was in a kitchen or bathroom, the cabling ran across the garden or you made any connections outside except into the enclosure provided on the light.

You need to check your CU to see if it is rcd protected.

Albert is right you should install a SFCU spur next to the socket if you want to do a proper job of it anyway. When you drill through to outside make sure you do so at a downward angle.

As for cable, black 1.5mm TRS flex should be fine if its high enough not to be damaged.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jono,

Wasnt aiming for that kind of method but just thought it was alot easier.

As mentioned it is a new build house, so would you expect the CU to be RCB protected, sorry to sound thick but how do I tell when I look at it? I am guessing there wont be seperate RCD's but one for the whole CU.

Thanks again.

RCD protection is not something that required in all cases, there is a requirement that cables will be installed in walls in minimum depth of 50mm, otherwise they have to be protected by earthed metal conduit, or a suitable cable used i.e armored cable etc. If you cannot or decide not to comply with this requirement an other way is to use RCD protection.

I do not know what is your installation's confirguration and what method was used to run the cables.

Since 2004 In all my installations I used RCBOs.

I'd take out the back box install one of these in its place

AP636.JPG

Then put a single socket and switched fused spur with a 3amp fuse next to it.

But it would depend on where the light is going in relation to the socket

Ok,

For pure covenience I wanted to go down the Plug option, so as long as the cable used is weather proof and the CU is RCD protected I am ok to proceed with this.

Thanks.

How you intend to connect the plug to the socket? The light with the cable is outside and the socket is inside. Do you intend to drill the hole near the socket and after passing the cable from outside to fit the plug?

Hi,

Yes that was how I was going to do it, is that ok?

THe CU has RCD protection on the plug sockets.

Can someone please give me a definite yes or no if this is ok.

If so can you recommend what cable I should use, I have seen artic mentioned?

Thanks again.

Sounds like a good idea if you dont feel confident to connect into the ring and fit a switched fused spur.
Id use either blue artic flex or black rubber flex 3-core 1.5mm and yes a 3amp fuse in the plugtop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back