outside security light into 3 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Real quick one, the missus today bought an outside security light as the council have decided to turn the street lights off at 1am... anyway

I want to know if I can simply use the appropriate flex cable from the light, round the side of the house and into the garage, then here just use a 3 pin plug into a socket? Swapping the fuse to a 3amp

If this will suffice what cable will I need

( I am not an electrician but can change lights ans sockets etc)

Hope you can help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume you are asking about the Part P rules. If something is fixed then you still have to pay the LABC if installed in one of the special areas even if you use a plug and socket unless it is part of a pre-assembled unit.

Sponsored Links
I want to know if I can simply use the appropriate flex cable from the light, round the side of the house and into the garage, then here just use a 3 pin plug into a socket? Swapping the fuse to a 3amp

You can but regulations and requirements need to be complied to.
If this will suffice what cable will I need
That will depend on the environment and external influences of the route and length of cable.
( I am not an electrician but can change lights ans sockets etc)
It will be cheaper to employ an electrician, that can self cert the work, than paying the application fee for notification and they can then select the cable for you.

Thanks[/quote]

Is there no power or lights in the garage that you could use?
, that would considerably reduce your problems!

Also no mention of safe isolation procedures or continuity, polarity, IR, Zs test.
Although it seems a neon screwdriver is a suitable tool for continuity testing!

I assume you are asking about the Part P rules. If something is fixed then you still have to pay the LABC if installed in one of the special areas even if you use a plug and socket unless it is part of a pre-assembled unit.

Isn't it for fixed wiring only, rather than flex and a plug?

"Fixed electrical equipment" would be the key term and also assume (if I dare) that the cable/flex will be secured using a compliant method.

This is the point one would normally fix an outside light to the wall and also fix the cable to the wall. The use of a plug does not make it fixed or not fixed.

I am not saying one has to follow the law. I am sure at some point I have allowed my car to wander over the 30MPH limit. However is some one was to ask me "what's the speed limit here" regardless as it if I would obey it myself I would still tell the guy what the limit is. The same applies here. The poster has asked the question we need to answer that question. And the answer is not worth paying LABC their fee, better to use a scheme member electrician. Which in turn means he does not need to know how to do the job.

This is the point one would normally fix an outside light to the wall and also fix the cable to the wall. The use of a plug does not make it fixed or not fixed.

I am not saying one has to follow the law. I am sure at some point I have allowed my car to wander over the 30MPH limit. However is some one was to ask me "what's the speed limit here" regardless as it if I would obey it myself I would still tell the guy what the limit is. The same applies here. The poster has asked the question we need to answer that question. And the answer is not worth paying LABC their fee, better to use a scheme member electrician. Which in turn means he does not need to know how to do the job.

Just for clarity, I wasn't discussing deliberate avoidance of LABC or notifcation, simply only how one is going to define fixed wiring and a fixed appliance.

Probably by focusing on the word "fixed", and ask "Is the appliance or its wiring fixed to anything?"

The definition of "fixed appliance" in BS 7671 is also relevant.

The definition of "fixed appliance" in BS 7671 is also relevant.

Absolutely

An inspection light on a flexible lead with a plug is not fixed.

A security light, screwed to a garage wall, with the cable clipped around the wall is fixed.

However, I'm still waiting for a response from the OP to my query as he may not need to trail/fix cable all round his house wall.
Is there no power or lights in the garage that you could use?
, that would considerably reduce your problems!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back