Outside security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm doing some DIY work for my daughter tomorrow and she wants an outside security light installed. The one she's bought is from B&Q. Looking at the set up in the garage, there's a light in a batten holder coming from the main downstairs ring in the house.

I'm planning to continue the circuit by adding a length of 1mm T&E and then wiring into a junction box to connect with the light and switch cables, but don't know where the brown (live) on the switch cable goes. Should it go in a separate block?

Mains/ Light/ Switch
-> N N ?
-> E E E
-> L L Switch Live?

I've looked at doing it where the switch cable goes into the light as well but still have the same dilemma.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The Wiki diagrams would have shown you.

From the switch wire, connect Live of switch wire to Live from circuit, then use the other switch wire (Switched live- mark with brown tape or sleeve)) to the lamp fitting, neutral of fitting to neutral from circuit, connect all the earths (CPC's) after sleeving with green / yellow.

Thanks Chri5 - I would have looked at the Wiki diagrams but I'm at work at the moment and systems won't allow me to download

Thanks for the advice - I will try out.

Sponsored Links
OK another question before I attempt it tomorrow - do I need a particular type of switch - single pole, double pole, connect to a FCU, take it from a power socket, leave well alone...???

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back