Security Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just bought a new sensor light.

it has the usual :L: :N: :E: :L1: connections.

Now I have 2 cables and 4 wires sticking out of the wall(L, L,N,E), but I need help about this extra live. I know its got something to do with the switch inside the house, but in my lovely B&Q manual it says:

Install a wall switch adjacent to the power source, and run a length of 3-core flex 1.0mm from the switch the the lamp. This allows the floodlight to be easily switched off when not required or for maintenance purposes

But this would turn OFF the sensor light. Before, the switch would turn the light on, but not off. How do I connect this extra live to SWITCH ON the sensor, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
I dont suppose that you made a note of where the wires went on the old light?

No, sorry, it was removed months ago.

But the single live must come from the switch?

Presumably, your old light was switched. So all you're worried about now is which of those two red wires is the switch-wire and which one is the permanent live?

Why not try one of them as the switch-wire and if it's wrong swop them over.

Sponsored Links
luminaire said:
Presumably, your old light was switched. So all you're worried about now is which of those two red wires is the switch-wire and which one is the permanent live?

My old light was switched. When you flicked the switch on, the light would stay on, until you flip the switch off again), but it does not hinder normal operation (when someone walks under, light comes on even if the switch was off)

Why not try one of them as the switch-wire and if it's wrong swop them over.

will try to find out, but I still don't know where the switch live does go?

so does the switched live go into L1 or do the 2 lives go into L, please help!

switch live will go to L1 ( the one with 2 wires in the other side of the block.. one from the sensor, and one to the light.. )

you don't have a means of isolation to safely change lamps then without turning the lighting breaker off?

ColJack said:
switch live will go to L1 ( the one with 2 wires in the other side of the block.. one from the sensor, and one to the light.. )

Thanks. So if I wire the switch live into L1 and then the other live into L?

you don't have a means of isolation to safely change lamps then without turning the lighting breaker off?

Nope :cool: I don't want the current switch to isolate the lamp, I want it to manually overide and come on!

thanks

No worries :)

Just fitted the new light, found out which one was the switched live.
Permanent live into L, switched live in L1.

Spot on!
Operates as normal, can be switched on manually, just the way is supposed to be!

Cheers Guys :)

most security light have an overide facility to them anyway.. you just switch off and back on within a second to overide the sensor.. which then stays on until you switch it off for 10 seconds and back on..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back